What's the difference in function between DME and LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingogames

Reaction score
I see many recipes that call for either DME or LME or sometimes both. My question is: why use one over the other? I understand that You use more LME for the same DME, etc. That's not my question. What is it about each of these that prompt brewers to choose one over the other? Is it just price? It seems that DME is cheaper, at least here, so in what situations can I sub DME for LME, and what recipes really NEED the LME??

Sorry for rambling, but you get the idea.

I haven't used DME but I hear it has a longer shelf life. You can use it as a base just like LME, you can keep some on hand for yeast starters, and you can use it to increase your OG if it turns out lower than you want. About all I can help you with on that.

My reasoning for using DME only is simple: I'm stationed overseas and can ship no more than 16oz of liquids in any package. Thus, no chance of doing a homebrew with LME.

There's a good thread about it here

Similar messages as those already posted. DME has a longer shelf life, and is easier to measure out.

The one point I was going to make, but I see it has already been made in that thread, is that most stores stock a far greater range of DME options than LME ones. So that a) probably gives an indication of the relative popularity with homebrewers and b) gives another reason to use DME over LME, because you have more choice.

LMEs also tend to be geared more towards styles. DME is primarily base malt and some little caramel malt.

I never much liked using LME, so I would only use DME. I would also partial mash some 2 row and specialty grains for the style of beer I was making to get the flavor and color I was looking for.

LMEs also tend to be geared more towards styles. DME is primarily base malt and some little caramel malt.

I don't know about that, there are amber and dark DME's. One thing if it hasn't been mentioned is that there are some specialty LME's that aren't available in DME to my knowledge like rye, munich, and maris otter LME.

Maybe it is an over generalization. I tend to think of it that way because Coopers gears so many of theirs towards styles.

Maillard does do MO and Rye LME.

Briess publishes what most their extracts (dry or liquid) are made of. I assume "base malt" means 2 row pale.

While it is true that there are more specific grain styles of LME, it doesn't perform as well as DME in the boil. But for my pb/pm biab beers, this is a moot point, since I mash 4-6lbs+ of grains & dunk sparge to boil volume. Then I use the fresh wort for all hop additions, adding the extract at flame out. So at that point LME, DME or some combination of both can be stirred in. I do think both DME & LME give different flavor qualities being what they are. The DME performs better in the boil, but LME has a bit fuller flavor. Just a bit.

I've brewed with both and gotten good results with both. As said before, LME can be tougher to measure out to an exact weight. It is easier to make sure you use all of the DME, as LME is quite viscous and may need to be warmed up to loosen, or have warm water added to the empty LME container to get the last of it out. It is also harder to keep and store LME than DME. I've had LME go moldy on me. While there are specific storing procedures with each, DME is easier to put in a tupperware and store for later.

There is a slight difference in amount when switching from one to the other. Here is a handy conversion chart for grain, LME, and DME.

http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Latest posts

Back