What's the Deal with Nottingham Prices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cox8611

Reaction score
So I went to the LHBS and Nottingham is now $3.98, and used to be $2.15.

Is it my LHBS or is this something that is happening all over? I'm just trying to figure why the ~200% price increase... All I saw was a new updated packaging label. I like to be thrifty when brewing, and Notty has always been my cheap and trusty friend for most of my house ales.

Nort

And yet my LHBS is sold out anyway :p I like notty, and I'll keep using it, but I'll miss the old price.

Yeah, got a lot of bad press a while ago. So, they repackaged the yeast and raised the price. Capitalism at work....

Sooo, on top off what used to be a great product (for years), they change packaging plant and the lag time increases exponentially for the yeast and they get loads of complaints.

Now they "fix it" and raise the price to over 3 times what I've paid in the past and they hope to make it work? They have now closed the gap between dry and liquid yeast enough to make it cheaper to buy liquid and propagate.

I did some checking and at mrmalty.com, Jamil states that White Labs WLP039 Nottingham is the exact same strain as Danstar Nottingham.

I buy it from a seller on ebay, 2.00 a pack with 2.50 shipping on however many you want to buy

I used notty a few times when I started brewing and started running into some trouble with the 'bad lots' (long lag time and less than stellar beer). I was off of it until they changed the packaging, but have my first brew with the new stuff and it is looking really good. Super fast start and really healthy looking fermentation. Its going like a monster at 57 F (fermenting temp) and I'm thinking about dropping it to 54 to keep it as clean as possible. My online retailer is still selling it for 2.50 (up in Canada), maybe I should stock up....

I just saw the thread on the US-05 and have four pouches with that expiry date. Hopefully that one is just a glich in the matrix though....

Update: Did 2 x 5gallon batches of pumpkin ale on saturday (both with the new notty - one rehydrated, one sprinkled)

The sprinkled one not only went off like a shot but the krausen has already fallen (3 days and basically complete) and the rehydrated one is right there with it. pretty impressed so far with the performance, still don't like the price.

Cheers! To open brew season and cold fermentation temps!

Went to my lhbs few weeks ago and out of curiosity I checked the Notty prices. I expected them to be high $3 or so, but I wondered why the box was so low.

The price sheet said $1.79.

So I grabbed the rest and expected some crap at the counter, but nope, that was the price. Sorry for anyone behind me who wanted some notty that day.

And yes, it was the new vacuum sealed packets...

Went to my lhbs few weeks ago and out of curiosity I checked the Notty prices. I expected them to be high $3 or so, but I wondered why the box was so low.

The price sheet said $1.79.

So I grabbed the rest and expected some crap at the counter, but nope, that was the price. Sorry for anyone behind me who wanted some notty that day.

And yes, it was the new vacuum sealed packets...

SCORE!!!!! YOU DOG! :cross:

I've made the move to White Labs Nottingham WLP039. Propagation begins this weekend for a years supply of Haus Ale batches.

I used mine in an Edworts Haus Ale as well....wait, I guess I have a few batches that still need adding to that thread!

SCORE!!!!! YOU DOG! :cross:

I've made the move to White Labs Nottingham WLP039. Propagation begins this weekend for a years supply of Haus Ale batches.

I thought the prices was like $1.39 as I walked up to the counter and when he rang me up and I asked for the price on the Notty and he said $1.79 I had no complaints!

Especially since I've not seen it ANYWHERE else for less than $3.50.

I suspect someone at the store is not paying attention to their price sheets...

Latest posts

Back