What's the deal with autolysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensira

Reaction score
How necessary is it to rack cider off the yeast cake after primary fermentation?

This post on Stack Exchange suggests that a racking into secondary isn't necessary to prevent autolysis, however the post is discussing beers, not cider.

The reason I ask is that I would like to make a batch of cider* at my parents' house. It's a long way away and I won't be visiting very often. I'd like to dump some juice and yeast into a carboy and leave it to ferment and age over the course of a few months with a minimum of human intervention.

So, is autolysis really not as much of a problem as I thought, and if not, are there any particular yeast strains or apple variables that work to prevent autolysis?

*Also willing to consider an apple or fruit wine if this is an easier thing to make with minimal intervention after the first couple of days' work. Thanks in advance

I don't know that it's considered to be autolysis, but I have had cider that took on a definite "yeasty" taste after sitting in primary for more than 3 weeks. Not nasty stench or anything ugly, but noticeable. Ciders tend to be subtly flavored and anything funky gets noticed.

I usually rack to secondary after 4 - 6 weeks to avoid the risk of off-flavours from the dying yeast & debris.
However, the best cider I've ever tasted was made by a well respected 87yr old cidermaker who allowed his ciders to sit in the barrels on the yeast for at least 18 months before drinking. Try both to see what works for you!

I think cider benefits from being left alone. Racking isn't usually necessary unless you have a heavy deposit of lees and stuff. If you are pressing your own apples you get a pretty heavy deposit of yeast and solids in the first few days, it is worth racking off that stuff, juice from a store shouldn't throw so much deposit. Mostly cider is left to age for a while on the lees.

The longest I left cider on the less for was around 18 momths, give or take, and it wasn't too bad. in fact, I'm drinking a glass of it now.

The only infected batch of cider I've had occured after the first racking after about three weeks.

That said, I am a little nervous about leaving any kind of homebrew on the lees too long and it concerns me how long some of my drinks are taking to ferment, sitting on that bed of lees all the while.

Latest posts

Back