What's the Cooler that Works now for 2.5g Cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I thought I read that the igloo cube (rolling cooler) dimensions changed a few years back and now won't close the lid with 2 - 2.5g corny's in it. Is that true...if so what's the best setup now? I was going to simply put two in there with party taps, and run the CO2 line through a drilled hole in the side to my tank.

60 quart Igloo Cube.
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

I am not sure you will find one of the squarish coolers to hold 2 kegs. It's a tight fit in mine height-wise for one so I won't recommend mine and it only holds one.

Ahhh, I missed that 2- 2 1/2 gallon kegs meant two kegs. I don't think 2 kegs would fit in my 60 quart cooler.
Still good to know if the OP has to settle on only one.

I have three 3 gallon ball locks. These are all fatter like a 5 gallon pin lock, not slimmer like a 5 gallon ball lock. I am not sure if that trend applies to 2.5 gallon ball locks. I think I saw that Torpedo kegs come in a slimmer version but I don't know if that is for smaller (<5 gallon) sizes.

My buddies have built collars for their 5 gallon kegs in order to sit two in the cooler. This are much wider coolers though. Maybe could fit two 1.75 gallons in a longer one.

Still good to know if the OP has to settle on only one.

I have three 3 gallon ball locks. These are all fatter like a 5 gallon pin lock, not slimmer like a 5 gallon ball lock. I am not sure if that trend applies to 2.5 gallon ball locks. I think I saw that Torpedo kegs come in a slimmer version but I don't know if that is for smaller (<5 gallon) sizes.

My buddies have built collars for their 5 gallon kegs in order to sit two in the cooler. This are much wider coolers though. Maybe could fit two 1.75 gallons in a longer one.

did they lay the 5 gallon ones down on their side? How did they get that to serve properly if that's what they did. I haven't seen a cooler tall enough to hold a 5 gallon one - a trash can yes, but not a cooler

did they lay the 5 gallon ones down on their side? How did they get that to serve properly if that's what they did. I haven't seen a cooler tall enough to hold a 5 gallon one - a trash can yes, but not a cooler
They stand them up in the larger rectangular coolers, top half sticks out. They built collars out of different stuff with some expandable foam thrown in. They claim their ice use is reasonable. They throw blankets on the exposed part I think too. I've seen a few posts on it here as well. If you had a split lid, you could cut out a circle in one side but you'd need a removable lid on the other side to add ice. You could probably unscrew the lids though, cut the circles out of the lids and then slide one lid up to add ice.

I built a jockey box instead so I'm not exactly sure what my friends used. I've camped with them for days in the summer and they do manage to keep the beer cold.

I have this cooler. It could easily fit 2 2.5 gallon kegs, though I only have one at the moment. The kegs I have are 8.5 inches in diameter.

Attachments

• 20200626_161224.jpg
    20200626_161224.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200626_161205.jpg
    20200626_161205.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 43
I haven't heard the dimensions have changed. If you look, you should still be able to find someplace selling the "Igloo 70qt Cube Max Roller" with the light blue bottom and white lid. If the Walmart, Home Depot, etc. near you has them, bring 2 kegs to the store with you and make sure they fit.

Back