whats the best Aging method when you plan to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chavatj

Reaction score
I want to know whats the best method for aging when you plan to keg and for hold long, i m brewing an IPA, thanks

You shouldn't be aging an IPA. IPAs are best when they're fresh. If you absolutely insist on aging, then glass or stainless is the best option. You could keg it, seal the keg with a burst of co2, then allow it to sit at room temp for however long you want.

I will do 1 week primary 2 week second and 4-5 days dry hopping, after that you think it will be ready to drink using force carbonation?

I will do 1 week primary 2 week second and 4-5 days dry hopping, after that you think it will be ready to drink using force carbonation?

I don't even use a secondary anymore...especially with IPAs. It's been shown that longer primary fermentations are more benefitial to the beer than a short primary and a few weeks in secondary.

Personally, when I do IPAs, I do 2 weeks in Primary. I then dry hop in primary for another 10 days. After that I keg, wait a week for it to carbonated, and drink.

Is this acceptable for a Brown Ale.

Primary for 4 weeks, rack to keg, put in kegerator at 12psi and leave for a week?

No cold crash, no geletin? It is a brown ale...

Other option is to keg and purge and let sit for a week or 2 room temp...

Is this acceptable for a Brown Ale.

Primary for 4 weeks, rack to keg, put in kegerator at 12psi and leave for a week?

No cold crash, no geletin? It is a brown ale...

Other option is to keg and purge and let sit for a week or 2 room temp...

Well, when you put it in the keg and put it in the kegerator, that IS cold crashing!

I don't primary that long, usually more like 2 weeks to 3 weeks, but then I keg the beer and put it in the kegerator. A lower OG brown ale will be fine without aging after being in the fermenter. I never used gelatin, so I can't help with that.

Well, when you put it in the keg and put it in the kegerator, that IS cold crashing!

I don't primary that long, usually more like 2 weeks to 3 weeks, but then I keg the beer and put it in the kegerator. A lower OG brown ale will be fine without aging after being in the fermenter. I never used gelatin, so I can't help with that.

But isn't the theory behind cold crashing to cold-crash it, then racking it, thereby having all the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter prior to racking it? I'm obviously still trying to get a handle on cold crashing.

cincybrewer said:
But isn't the theory behind cold crashing to cold-crash it, then racking it, thereby having all the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter prior to racking it? I'm obviously still trying to get a handle on cold crashing.

All of the sediment will end up in the bottom of the keg. After the first two or so pints are poured, the beer will be pretty clear.

If you are kegging you don't need any finings. Your beer will be crystal clear in 2 weeks.

Ah good to know. I cold crashed to settle, but noticed I still racked some crap. Will just let sit and take a pint or 2 off. I dont shake anything if I can help it.

The diptube in the keg will suck up enough excess sediment in the first pour or two. After that it should be all clear unless you shake the keg.

Also, if you're gonna keg the IPA, you can dryhop in the keg as well. Toss your hops in a bag (some people use floss to tie it to the lid) then just toss the bag in the keg while you carb it. The floss also helps keep the bag clear of the diptube, and after two weeks of set and forget the beer is dryhopped and ready to go. Dryhopping at the cold temp also tends to keep down any grassy flavors that might develop during a longer dry hop, so a lot of people don't even bother removing the hops until the keg is kicked.

How many weeks do i need to age a porter before its ready?

Only huge ales, OG > 1.080, should be aged. The alcohol content in these brews needs time to mellow. Ales should be enjoyed fresh, soon after the yeast drops. Lagers should be enjoyed fresh, too. They just have all that sitting around to do before they are ready.

Michael Jackson was a proponent of drinking beer fresh.

Only huge ales, OG > 1.080, should be aged. The alcohol content in these brews needs time to mellow. Ales should be enjoyed fresh, soon after the yeast drops. Lagers should be enjoyed fresh, too. They just have all that sitting around to do before they are ready.

Michael Jackson was a proponent of drinking beer fresh.

I agree with this to a point, but not ALL ales under 1.080 should be drank right away. I find that aging stouts and porters does wonders for the final outcome of the beer.

Yeah, there are certainly beers like IPAs you don't want to age for years, but I find that a month or two even for my lighter beers does wonders for them. Now that I've got a pipeline set up its easier, and I definitely drank some beers a little earlier than I should have because I had a tap open. I don't remember who had the line about the last beer always being the best one (Revvy maybe?), but I've yet to find a beer of mine where that wasn't the case.

Back