Whats on my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsrolled

Reaction score
Eager to pull off the lid on a brown ale, we sit around the bucket on the counter at eye level, all smiles. I pull back the lid before I can even see, She says What the f*** is that? I stand with my finger pointing in the air, to the forum of experts cave!

100_3086.jpg

100_3087.jpg

Would the bucket not being air tight have something to do with it? or just a bucket not washed well. It was in there for about 3 1/2 week

What did you use to sanitize? Something that touched the wort after the boil was not sanitized properly. Give it a try, it's safe to drink, it just may or may not taste good.

Looks like wax or fat. Especially the way it sits on the kraeusen up the side of the fermenter. Seems to me this is not an infection, but somethings that was there at or near the beginning. The reason I say that is because it is up the side of the fermenter above the beer, and therefore started during fermentataion, and looks very distinct. Looks too solid to be lacto.

What was the recipe? What was in the bucket before this?

That is lacto. Let it ride. By the time you are wanting to drink sours it will be ready.

This was a brown ale with dry yeast. It was a stout before. the bucket was washed good I always clean every thing with some elbow grease very hot water with vinegar. Sanitized with starstan. What ever this was floated on top and seemed to be powder as I was racking into 2nd stage the stuff would pull to the side and stick ot the bucket getting none of it into 2nd.

Would the bucket not being air tight have something to do with it? or just a bucket not washed well. It was in there for about 3 1/2 week

Yes. A wide headspace like that, with not being airtight, and being in there for three weeks or so after fermentation ends is what would allow oxygen loving bacteria (like lacto) to take hold and grow.

This was a brown ale with dry yeast. It was a stout before. the bucket was washed good I always clean every thing with some elbow grease very hot water with vinegar. Sanitized with starstan. What ever this was floated on top and seemed to be powder as I was racking into 2nd stage the stuff would pull to the side and stick ot the bucket getting none of it into 2nd.

Looks like you need to update your cleaning practices. Vinegar, hot water, and elbow grease will not clean much. Did you sanitize before racking?
Also, the beer you transferred from underneath the surface has the lactobacillus in it too.

Back