whats my efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikhild59

Reaction score
My all grain efficiency has been a mystery since I started brewing. I'm am happy with my beer and process, but would like to know it. Typically I get a gravity that's about half of the total dry weight of the mash, for example: a batch with 10 lbs of grain is around 1.050....15 lbs around 1.075 etc. Anyone got a ballpark number? 5.5 gals into fermenter btw. Thanks

It really depends on the grains that u are using. Some grains lend more points per pound per gallon than others do. We would need to know your grain bill to give you a solid answer.

Assuming 10 lbs of 2-row generates 5.5g @ 1.050, you are around 74%.

Laboratory extract for 2-row is around 37 points per pound per gallon. Specialty malts tend to be lower. Assume your 10 pound grain bill averages 36 ppg. 100% would be 360 points divided by 5.5 gallons, 1.065. You got 50/65=77%. You really have to know the laboratory extract (we seldom really do) and exact volumes to get it right.

Ok thanks guys. So you need the ppg for the specific grain you use, then calculate the "ideal" gravity, then divide the actual by that number. Got it , I think:)

Latest posts

Back