What's in my bottles? I have my suspicions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look like an infection. Especially the slimy bubbles on the sides.

The little white specks are actually solid. I could be convinced that they're bits of settled yeast, instead of lactobacillus, if not for that milky film on the neck of the bottle.

What does it taste like? It will not harm you, so try it. If it is carb'd, tastes fine, I think I'd chill all the bottles and drink quick.

What does it taste like? It will not harm you, so try it. If it is carb'd, tastes fine, I think I'd chill all the bottles and drink quick.

No off flavors, at this point. I've six of them, but it's not fully carbed yet. We keep it cool in our house during the winter. Over the next week or so, I'll get the rest of it to a colder spot and get it into the rotation. It's good. It won't last long.

Any chance you used carbonation drops?
Nope. Batched primed to about 1.8 vols, so even if it's infected, I have a bit of room for extra CO2.

Looks like lacto for sure. You never know, it could turn out to be something mighty delicious!
It could, but it's already in the bottles, so I won't let it go far. A sour porter? Doesn't sound real appetizing to me, but I'm likely to taste a bit of it by the end of this batch, if they're all like this.

Back