What's growing in my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garguy

Reaction score
Just came home to a starter I made this morning for a batch I am brewing tomorrow and saw this in the krausen? Any idea what this might be?

Trying to decide whether to pitch it in my beer or pitch it in the trash...

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Its probably just residue from the malt extract. If you put it up this morining i dont think the discoloration is from a living organism.

Smell it and taste it, just to be sure.

Its probably just residue from the malt extract. If you put it up this morining i dont think the discoloration is from a living organism.

Smell it and taste it, just to be sure.

anything in particular I should be smelling for?

Prob just proteins from the malt extract the krausen looks nice and clean and white no weird thick bubbles like I saw on a starter I made a month back that turned out to be infected, I didn't know and pitched it into my beer and it tasted like a funky Belgian and I used washed 001. So looks good.

anything in particular I should be smelling for?

Its hard to describe i would say anything vinegary, rotten or foul.

I always smell/taste a small part of my starter before pirching or decanting them, so i know immediatly when something is off.

Its hard to describe i would say anything vinegary, rotten or foul.

I always smell/taste a small part of my starter before pirching or decanting them, so i know immediatly when something is off.

Out of curiosity, what should the starter taste like?

I used White Labs WLP002, BSG Handcraft Muntons Dry Malt Hopped Light, and yeast food. I can't tell if the starter wort tastes hoppy or a bit sour or just like light flat beer....

I used White Labs WLP002, BSG Handcraft Muntons Dry Malt Hopped Light, and yeast food. I can't tell if the starter wort tastes hoppy or a bit sour or just like light flat beer....

Doesnt matter. just cold crash it and decant the beer out of the flask before pitching it. no need to taste it and i would bet that it would taste bad since the point is to make more yeast not to make good beer.

Without stirr plate it should taste like flat beer comming out of the fermenter. With a stirr plate it is often oxydized and tastes somewhat like cardboard.

I often decanted starters (no stirr plate) in bottles and carbonated them. They are absolutely drinkable.

Without stirr plate it should taste like flat beer comming out of the fermenter. With a stirr plate it is often oxydized and tastes somewhat like cardboard.

I often decanted starters (no stirr plate) in bottles and carbonated them. They are absolutely drinkable.

With the use of hopped DME, should be even better.

Back