What's good to add to Black Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
What can I add during the final week of fermentation to a black ale? Cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, anything?

It depends on what you mean by a "black ale." Are you referring to a specific style that's distinct from, say, a stout or a porter or a black IPA, or to a general category of beer that encompasses those?

Hi have an oatmeal stout in a fermenter. I plan on adding toasted coconut to it. Shredded coconut in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes and then into the primary for a week.

I have a whole four batches under my belt and two have involved either cocoa nibs or bourbon soaked oak chips. I thought the Peanut butter cup recipe sounded tasty. May be an "almond joy" with the baked coconut and almond oil might be good.

I have fallen back now to try to make a good clean Porter that doesn't smell like a fruit plate.

It depends on what you mean by a "black ale." Are you referring to a specific style that's distinct from, say, a stout or a porter or a black IPA, or to a general category of beer that encompasses those?

It was the anniversary black ale recipe from AHS and it has chocolate malts, two row malts, and another real dark malt in the grains for the mini mash

Also it took 1oz glacier, 1 oz sterling and another ounce glacier in the bittering, flavor, and aroma stages

Bourbon soaked black mission figs (chopped). Soak 4 days, drain bourbon, then add figs to fermenter/secondary for 5 days (hop bag). Did it with El Camino strong black ale clone - really good.

It was the anniversary black ale recipe from AHS and it has chocolate malts, two row malts, and another real dark malt in the grains for the mini mash

Also it took 1oz glacier, 1 oz sterling and another ounce glacier in the bittering, flavor, and aroma stages

Okay, Googling that gives me a bunch of links that suggest it's properly a Robust Porter (my initial reaction, to the description of ingredients, unless it's on the low end of this). You should be good with the suggestions in the thread.

Back