whats going on with my fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adio5

Reaction score
So i recently purchased a gallon of cider from the farmers market that is pasteurized and all that jazz. I let it sit in the basement for 3 days and the thing started bulging out like a fat guy in a small shirt.
Thats about when i decided that it had started fermentation without me and i put it in the fridge until i could get some campden tablets.
Crushed a whole campden tablet into it and the thing is still bubbling like crazy. i didn't even add any fermentables yet. I know that there are some sugars already present but you would think that after a few days it would stop. or the campden tablet would make it stop. am i missing something?

should I:
1. just toss it out or
2. wait until it stops fermenting and drink it
3. or wait until is stops and start my own fermentation with brown sugar and my yeast

campden tablets wont stop fermentation. fermenting yeasts are resistant to it. campden only kills wild yeasts. there's a TON of sugar in apple cider, enough to give you a good buzz if you let it ferment out. the fridge will only slow your ferment. Get an airlock and let it finish out at room temperature at this point. if you want to stop your ferment, add potassium sorbate to the mix. it's birth control for the yeast.

put an airlock on it, let it go! Wild yeasts can give you some crazy good flavors.

Also, campden will stp wild yeasts at first, but they are already running now, too late.

Latest posts

Back