What's going on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksparkes

Reaction score
So I got a starter going like normal. Used some washed yeast (wlp001), mashed some grains to get 2l of 1.040 wort, then set it up on the stir plate. After about 12 hrs there was a krausen and after 24 hrs it started to subside and I pitched 500ml of the starter into a berliner weiss and saved the other 1.5l. The remainder of the state has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a day and started another krausen and is producing gas like crazy. Do I have some kind of infection or is wlp001 really able to ferment at 37deg f?

So I got a starter going like normal. Used some washed yeast (wlp001), mashed some grains to get 2l of 1.040 wort, then set it up on the stir plate. After about 12 hrs there was a krausen and after 24 hrs it started to subside and I pitched 500ml of the starter into a berliner weiss and saved the other 1.5l. The remainder of the state has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a day and started another krausen and is producing gas like crazy. Do I have some kind of infection or is wlp001 really able to ferment at 37deg f?

If the starter wort looked clear and you still got a krausen then idk. If the starter wort was still hazy from yeast then you had some activity going on.

Well I pitched 500ml right off the stir plate then threw the flask in the fridge to settle out and save that yeast for later. As of now it's been in the fridge for around 24 hrs and still cloudy and kicking out co2.

Yeah boiled about 5 min. Mostly wondering why I'm seeing activity after its been at 37deg for 24 hrs.

That should be enough to kill the bugs. Seems awfully cold for any activity.

That's what I don't get. I guess if it never clears I'll just dump it. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to stop, what kind of attenuation, and if it ever clears. This is second generation yeast. Hopefully it doesn't wreck my Berliner Weiss.

How did you harvest it? If you topcropped at the wrong time then you might have ended up with the least flocculent yeast, as an example.

I feel that harvested yeast makes me nervous some times, it doesn't always behave like a fresh pack or vial. But, if I set all the fears aside and just pitch it, it does an excellent job. I've got a 15th-ish gen Us-05 going and there's been a couple of times I've been "Uh, this looks strange, but all for science" and pitched it, and it does a fantastic job.

Maybe something got in your washed wlp-001 yeast either prior to using/washing, when you originally washed it, or after. A lot of possibilities there I guess.

I harvested after a 6 week primary, pouring off the top of the cake to a sanitized mason jar. Then a week later started up this starter. Last night I gave the flask a good shake to make sure it wasn't just residual co2 being released. Woke up this morning and it's still going, I guess eventually it'll run out of sugars

20150718_115506.jpg

Latest posts

Back