What's everybody doing with their wet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragutis

Reaction score
I ordered a pound of wet cascades from Brewmaster's Warehouse along with a lot of people. I was wondering what kind of recipes everybody is brewing.
Here's mine.

Three Hawks Wet Hop Ale
Original Gravity: 1.052
Terminal Gravity: 1.013
Color: 4.9
Bitterness: 69.2
Alcohol: 5.08 %

Ingredients:
17.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
4.0 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 lb American Caramel 10°L
0.5 lb Belgian Biscuit
2.0 oz Cascade pellets(5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
8 oz Wet Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
8 oz Wet Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 2 min
2 L starter White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

I just mashed in.
So what are you doing with yours?

1329.jpg
1330.jpg
1335.jpg
downsized_0911001400.jpg

I've never heard of wet hops before. What's the difference, beside the obvious.

I may be wrong but wet hops are fresh picked and bagged so they are still "wet" unlike most hops we use that are dried prior to use. You can get more oil from a wet hop and supposedly a different hop taste

Oh, you mean WHOLE hops. I was trying to figure out why anyone would want to have hops sitting around in some liquid. And then I thought maybe the topic was about hop extract.

I just harvested mine yesterday--Mt. Hood for me. I posted in the recipe section for suggestions of what to do with them but there hasn't been much activity. I would have loved to plant something stronger and more useful for pale ales and the like but I planted these MANY years ago before I was whole hog into homebrewing.

Any suggestions in this thread for uses for Mt. Hood?

That is a long trip to make and stay 'fresh'. And is that picture accurate? If so they look a little on the aged side. Lot of brown in there. Must be the pictures though. Even though the greens look green. It's just a surprising amount of brown. Might be good for lambics.

I've used fresh off the vine before and just called them whole hops. Wasn't aware of a new marketing scheme going on here, to clear out bad crops. My apologies.

What's the approximate equivalency in terms of weight for wet hops? As in, I normally use 1oz of pellets at flame out in an APA, how much wet hops should I use? I feel like I've heard 6x the weight....

What's the approximate equivalency in terms of weight for wet hops? As in, I normally use 1oz of pellets at flame out in an APA, how much wet hops should I use? I feel like I've heard 6x the weight....

I've read 3-4x. I used 4x for my last brew it's in secondary but from what I have tasted and smelt so far it seems to be a good ratio.

did one today -
22# 2 row
2.5# Crystal 60

Homegrown picked and dried Magnum 3 oz at 60 min
3 oz fresh picked Cascade at 20 min
2 oz fresh picked Cascade at 15 min
2 oz fresh picked Cascade at 10 min
8 oz fresh picked Cascade at 0 min

Back