What's eatin' ya!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey_James

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of my leaves are having some sort of insect eating big holes in some of my leaves. I have my hops growing on my fence and most of the leaves that are being eaten are those closest to the fence and maybe about 6 inches back. The only other animal I know of is soon to become a big venison roast if I catch them munchin' again. I am wondering if leaf cutter ants would attack a hops plant?

:confused:

Could be anything, grasshoppers, japanese beatles, caterpillers, worms, lavae, etc. I'd start with an insecticidal soap and see if that stops it. Or, if you're not worried about growing organic, some sevin dust works wonders and I wouldn't be too worried about it if your plant hasn't set cones.

Grasshoppers are bad this year and have eaten almost all our Cascade and Mt hood. Chinooks and Fuggles are going crazy and outgrowing them though.

Could be anything, grasshoppers, japanese beatles, caterpillers, worms, lavae, etc. I'd start with an insecticidal soap and see if that stops it. Or, if you're not worried about growing organic, some sevin dust works wonders and I wouldn't be too worried about it if your plant hasn't set cones.

Yep all my leaves at ground lever were full of holes. Just a little Sevin Dust around the base of the plant last week and all the new leaves are perfect. I didn’t bother putting anything on the upper leaves since the bugs seem to stay at the bottom. Sevin works great just don’t go crazy with it and use it only were needed.

Back