What's do you think a typical gravity reading would be for this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cianfich

Reaction score
My Dad and I brewed a beer about a week ago, and we are concerned about the fermentation: It seemed to have significantly slowed (maybe almost stopped). The temperature in the room were the beer is kept is probably above 70 degrees.

Here are my questions:

1) Did the fermentation progress faster due to the higher temperature?

2) What would be a typical gravity reading for this beer (recipe below)? We forgot to take a reading before we pitched the yeast.

Recipe:
We got this recipe from an employee at a brew store. He improvised the recipe on the fly. We wanted to make a mock-lager without actually lagering.

Makes 5 gallons,

malt extract
3/4 lb. Pilzner malt
1/2 lb dex.
1/4 lb. victory

Hops:
3/4 oz. saaz @ 60min.
1 oz. saaz 10 min.
1/4 oz. saaz 5 min.

Yeast:
European ale yeast wp 011

Fermentation is probably mostly done. But you need to give it 3 weeks minimum for finishing and to let the yeast clean up off flavors and such.

Am I missing something, 3/4lb of extract plus 3/4lb specialty grains? This gets an OG of 1.010!
Did you mean 4lbs pilsner extract? That would be more like 1.040.

My Dad and I brewed a beer about a week ago, and we are concerned about the fermentation: It seemed to have significantly slowed (maybe almost stopped). The temperature in the room were the beer is kept is probably above 70 degrees.

Here are my questions:

1) Did the fermentation progress faster due to the higher temperature?

2) What would be a typical gravity reading for this beer (recipe below)? We forgot to take a reading before we pitched the yeast.

Recipe:
We got this recipe from an employee at a brew store. He improvised the recipe on the fly. We wanted to make a mock-lager without actually lagering.

Makes 5 gallons,

malt extract
3/4 lb. Pilzner malt
1/2 lb dex.
1/4 lb. victory

Hops:
3/4 oz. saaz @ 60min.
1 oz. saaz 10 min.
1/4 oz. saaz 5 min.

Yeast:
European ale yeast wp 011

Either missing a quantity on the "malt extract" line, or something's seriously wrong with that recipe. Just like he said, that's like 1.010 which won't even get you 1% ABV really...

Your right, I didn't leave a measurement for the extract. Unfortunately, I can't read my dad's handwriting, so I'll get back to you tomorrow. As far as I know, however, there was considerably more than 3/4 lb. of extract. The employee at the brew store filled one of those white, plastic containers which holds about 9 cups of water. Thanks for your quick responses!

Alright, sorry for the convoluted nature of this thread, but I believe I know how much extract was used: 6 lbs. With this in mind, and going back to my original questions, what do you think?

Thanks!

Back