What's a good price for kegs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
I'm checking ebay right now, as I believe this batch may be the last I "have" to bottle. I'm going to get 2-4 kegs, and keg my next batch in a couple of weeks, then worry about dispensing that keg after that.

It seems that I'm finding corny ball lock kegs on ebay for $50 for 2 reconditioned kegs. Does this seem like a fair price to you guys?

I just bought 4 ball locks a couple weeks ago, reconditioned for $108 shipped. From this guy: pedalbiker53. They got here super-fast and in really nice shape.

Also, when I looked, it seemed that pin-locks were selling for a good bit less.

I don't think it's so much pros & cons as slight differences. The gas & liquid disconnects cost the same. The dimensions are slightly different (I think pin lock is wider & shorter???) Ball-lock seems to be a bit more popular and abundent, but that might just be my perspective. I can't think of any real pros & cons... It'd be a bit more of a pain to have both in your inventory, since you'd need fittings for each, so I'd just pick one and stick to it.

Having both would be a serious PITA. Don't do that.

Pin lock, I believe, stands a little taller than ball lock.

There are fewer of them out there, so you're less likely to come across a buddy who has a spare to throw at you or a spectactular deal that lets you jump up your collection on the cheap.

Also, you'll have fewer friends who can loan you parts. Additionally, if you go to a picnic or event, odds are there will be a ball lock system there, so you might not need to haul your gear over and can just use the one that is there. I guess the basic theme in that line of thought is 'check with your local fellow brewers and see what they use'.

Also in my experience it approaches impossible to make a mess with ball lock whereas drunken manipulation of pin lock kegs has resulted in the occasional squirt of coke all over the place (I've only dealt with pin locks that were being used to serve actual coke products). In seating the posts on a pin lock you open the valve. If you screw up trying to twist the pin lock into place you can squirt a bit of cokeout the keg before you push back down and make the seal again. I've never had that happen on a ball lock because you just let go of it when it is pushed down far enough.

Actually no, the pinlocks are a little more than an inch shorter and about 1/2" wider in diameter. My pinlocks are a little under 24" tall including the connectors and about 9" in diameter.

You can't mess up connecting pinlock in/out connectors which I consider a "pro" to them. I've never spilled any beer connecting or disconnecting my pinlocks. It is true that ball locks are more popular or I should say, easier to find, but as long as you can get your hands on 4-6 of the same kind, pick either.

They do NOT make carbonator caps for pinlock disconnects, in case you care about that.

Look to spend about $18 each for used condish, closer to $25-30 for reconditioned including new O-rings and poppets.

$25 per keg for ball locks is a great deal - especially if they include a new set of o-rings. www.kegconnection.com is where I bought mine and they all came with new o-rings and were $25 each. I think the order, including shipping came to around $114. They are so easy to recondition, don't bother spending $45 or so for those.

Also, the problem with having both types of kegs (ball and pin) is that you need to have double the connections and hoses, which means doubling your accessory expenses. If you stick with one type, you only have to worry about buying parts for one type.

Having said that, there are several brands of ball lock kegs, and the disconnect parts are slightly different (poppits, wrench sizes, etc) though the quick disconnects required are the same. A ball lock quick disconnect is a ball lock quick disconnect.

Here is a visual of what I mean...

Quick Disconnects

Poppets and Plugs

I looked and looked and looked and didn't want to wait and find they went up again so I ordered Friday; haven't seen them yet but others have said they were not disappointed so...

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/index2.ivnu

"* Two Ball Lock five gallon kegs: cleaned, pressure checked two for $32.00"

"* Cornelius Rebuilt five gallon keg:cleaned, pressure checked,sanitized new gaskets, and poppets $22.00"

I bought four @$22.00, and got 2 extra o-ring kits in case of wear or damage for $2.50ea.
http://www.brewersdiscount.com/productCat15956.ctlg

No having to wonder with an E-bay deal....and no having to rebuild them myself, even though I would have, cheap enough to not have to.

There was a reason I didn't order from there but I can't remember now what it was. I think it was outrageous shipping to Idaho or something. For those that are closer to them, this is a screaming deal.

Wouldent hurt to go check your local pepsi distributor, they have some left over corney's kicking around, I got 3 for free a little banged up but still hold pressure just fine.

Back