what yeast is best for a triple IPA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend using a very highly attenuating yeast. WLP090 or WLP007 come to mind for typical "clean" IPA yeats options.

But the bottom line for an IPA that big is you need to get the FG as low a possible with every opportunity. Otherwise, you're making a hoppy, sweet gross, boozy unaged barleywine. Mash very low, limit your specialty malts extremely, use at least 5% sugar.

I would recommend using a very highly attenuating yeast. WLP090 or WLP007 come to mind for typical "clean" IPA yeats options.

But the bottom line for an IPA that big is you need to get the FG as low a possible with every opportunity. Otherwise, you're making a hoppy, sweet gross, boozy unaged barleywine. Mash very low, limit your specialty malts extremely, use at least 5% sugar.

+1 for WLP090. I have an 11% IIIPA that came out pretty nice with that. 8% sugar and a stepped starter up to my big 5L flask.

WLP001 or WLP090. If you go with WLP007, which is a super clean yeast just make sure you have plenty of headroom and a big blowoff tube.That is one of the most aggressive yeasts Ive ever used.

recipe:Batch Size: 6.00 gal Style: Specialty IPA (21B)
Boil Size: 7.56 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 6.5 SRM Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Bitterness: 132.3 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.097 (22.8° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.016 SG (4.0° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 10.8% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients

Amount

Name

Type

#

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Grain 4
2.00 oz Warrior [15.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6
2.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7
3 lbs Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] (8.0 SRM) Grain 8
2.00 oz Willamette [5.5%] - Boil 10 min Hops 9
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 10
2.00 oz Zythos hop [12.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 11
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 12
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 13
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 14
3.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 15
3 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16
1 lbs 8.00 oz Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Grain 17

Notes
Whirlpool "flame out" Hop additions @170 FOR 15MINS. Dry hop with 2oz Mosaic, 1oz of Galaxy, and 3oz of Chinook, 3oz of Citra, 2oz Willamette for 7 days in secondary.

Can you explain the reason you're using beet sugar? Ive never heard of using sugar from a beet ha!

haha

side note: that willamette is seriously lost. he has no idea where he is. get him out of there

haha

side note: that willamette is seriously lost. he has no idea where he is. get him out of there

My Willamette no good there?....they are fresh from my backyard they smell incredibly spicy and citrusy...

My Willamette no good there?....they are fresh from my backyard they smell incredibly spicy and citrusy...

You can certainly use them, but the other hops will likely drown them out. If they're really nice smelling, I'd save them for another beer where you can showcase them. Then again, if you have an excess of them, it isn't going to hurt anything.

how low should I mash......

another vote on WLP090. Super-yeast gets it done! I would use at least 10% sugar, late addition (once fermentation is half way done or so) and mash 146-148 or so for a bit longer than 60min (overnight if you can).

why that low..

Mashing lower (under 150) extracts more beta amylase which is more fermentable and thins out the beer. Conversely, mashing higher (ive heard 152 and 154) will be less fermentable and will have more body. A 10.4% IPA is gonna have a big body anyways so you want to make that wort super fermentable. Even with the beer sugar I would still mash low.

Mashing lower (under 150) extracts more beta amylase which is more fermentable and thins out the beer. Conversely, mashing higher (ive heard 152 and 154) will be less fermentable and will have more body. A 10.4% IPA is gonna have a big body anyways so you want to make that wort super fermentable. Even with the beer sugar I would still mash low.

I agree. the key to IPA this high in ABV is make it super-dry. It's almost impossible. You will almost surely fail and it will be too sweet. But if you want to have any chance, go for super-low mash temperature, like 148 and then add a few lbs of sugar.

I agree. the key to IPA this high in ABV is make it super-dry. It's almost impossible. You will almost surely fail and it will be too sweet. But if you want to have any chance, go for super-low mash temperature, like 148 and then add a few lbs of sugar.

Dang that's harsh. I wouldnt say that you will surely fail, but I think mashing at 152 or higher will result in a thick sugar bomb. Which I guess is fine if that's what you want! It's your beer and that's the beauty of homebrewing :) :mug:

Do you know what the difference between a double IPA and triple IPA is?

Double IPAs can taste good.

Back