what yeast do you recommend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCool

Reaction score
I've made 4 or 5 batches of cider and i'm getting better at it but i ran out of yeast.. I like cider at around 8 or 9%abv lightly sweetened.. .. so far i've been using red star champagne yeast so i end up sweetening before i bottle because of how dry it gets... but i was wondering if anyone has recommendations for another kind of yeast i might like to try now other than champagne yeast.

Try an ale yeast like Nottingham, or US05. Ale yeasts tend to leave it a tad sweeter than wine yeast, they leave a bit more apple flavour & you can still reach your target ABV & carbonate if you want to. Regards, GF.

I've got a batch of cider going right now using wyeast 1272 - American Ale II, and it's been a very clean fermentation... no sulfur smell at all while my previous batches using cider and wine yeasts have all produce some amount of sulfur. So far I'm pretty impressed with this yeast... it's still chugging along and it's managed to take my SG from 1.123 to 1.04 I'm hoping for it to stop soon maybe in the 1.01 or 1.02 range. 1.04 is still very sweet to me, but the wife was begging for a sweet cider...

I've got a batch of cider going right now using wyeast 1272 - American Ale II, and it's been a very clean fermentation... no sulfur smell at all while my previous batches using cider and wine yeasts have all produce some amount of sulfur. So far I'm pretty impressed with this yeast... it's still chugging along and it's managed to take my SG from 1.123 to 1.04 I'm hoping for it to stop soon maybe in the 1.01 or 1.02 range. 1.04 is still very sweet to me, but the wife was begging for a sweet cider...

It might be just about done. That yeast is only good for 10%, and at 1.040 you are already at 11%.

I've used Safale S-04 several times now and have had exellent luck with it. It ferments out really clear. When its done, you have a pile of trub on the bottom and clean, clear cider.

It might be just about done. That yeast is only good for 10%, and at 1.040 you are already at 11%.

I know that's what O was thinking but it's still bubbling away. I'm not sure how much of that is just left over CO2 or if there is still some active fermentation. I'm going to give it a week or two in secondary and then recheck the gravity. I'm might have to dilute with more cider to let restart the fermentation.

Latest posts

Back