What would you pay to be able to brew and sell your beer on a professional level?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucrece

Reaction score
Not quite contract brewing, not quite alternating proprietorship but so much more than a co-op...the world's first (I think) incubator brewery needs your feedback.

For the last few years I've been running something called a kitchen incubator (see kitchenincubator.com) and also been steadily getting more into brewing. I built out a really awesome bakery space for people that wanted to start baking businesses for hourly rent. Somewhere in the past year I discovered that:
a) I hate bakers. They are a pain in the ass and have screwed me six ways from sideways.
b) I love brewing and kind of want to do it professionally (note, kind of)

I've been toying around with the idea for a while but the epiphany hit me at a beer festival last week - convert the bakery into a brewery! I've started into the TTB process already. I have some awesome equipment already contributed by our Master Brewer in exchange for using the facility (SABCO, some great fermentors, many many kegs, etc) and I have the water filtration systems and gas hook-ups. I also have a kick ass kitchen so brewpub seems the correct route.

So what I'd like to do is extend this new brewery to locals who want to take that next step. I'm in Houston and know many people locally who are interested. But as far as how the concept will attract people from other locals I have no idea.

My question is this: how much would you pay (annually) for the ability to go into a professional brewing set-up with access to temperature controlled fermentation room and an open to the public tap room, to brew and sell your beer?

I'm currently thinking of an annual membership fee, due monthly, that provides access to 'brew sessions' which allow you to book the brew session for an additional fee, with access to all of the equipment and space in the fermentation and kegging rooms but you'll have to provide your own fermenters and kegs. Membership will be exclusive meaning that founding members will apply and be allowed in based on the quality of their beer and from there on out will get to vote on whether or not a new member can be admitted. Beer will be sampled and sold in the tap room. You get all of the proceeds from your beer sales minus a 30% commission for us having to hire staff to market and serve it.

Knowing 100% that this will be an act of love and not a money driven venture, we are looking to establish as a non-profit organization, which means 100% of membership dues will be invested back in the brewery. I'm running a lot of numbers here (I have a background in finance) but ultimately I really want the project to be community driven. Your feedback is so deeply appreciated I am willing to mail black ale caramelized bacon cookies to the providers of thoughtful responses!

Thoughts? Please? and feel free to post comments and show support at facebook.com/projectbrew!

I am not from the area but I like the idea. I think there’s a place in Nashua New Hampshire that does something similar

I don't see the translation from baking to brewing. Why? - time. You bake a cake in an hour or two. You make a Belgian or German beer in a month or two +. So given there will be many different people using the space, where are you going to house all of the fermenting and aging beer? In quantities for retail sale.

Also, how does jive with alcohol laws? Un-licensed brewers operating in a licensed space for retail sale and public consumption. Seems like the TABC would not be happy with this arrangement. But, I admit I do not know the laws. So hopefully it will be o.k.

As for paying just for the opportunity to sell my beer - No.

In addition to what @Bassman2003 said, having homebrewers who are inexperienced with production style setups is going to mean either having an extremely patient pro brewer on hand to oversee every step, or be ready to deal with a lot of catastrophes.

Also, the logistics of purchasing grain, yeast and hops is going to be a mess. Even working at a professional brewery, it was always a juggle to make sure we had fresh yeast ready to go, all the hops were in the freezer and our grains were on hand. Depending on what size brewhouse you're looking at, each batch of beer could require 500-1000 pounds of grain and several pounds of hops. I find it hard to believe some random homebrewer is going to drop $1k+ for ingredients (on top of whatever monthly fee you're charging) just to brew a beer that may or may not sell.

In my opinion, you'd be better off building a nice brewhouse and then contract brewing for any local breweries who need the added capacity. I'd first ask around and see if that's even needed though.

I was thinking of the laws also, look into that first. I could see that there will be a huge amount of red tape to wade through.

Do you realize how much space fermenting beers on that scale will take up? Unless you are talking four or five clients at a time you probably do not have enough space for fermentation.

30% to you for the equipment/space use would eat most if not all the margin, so paying a user fee prior to that would make it a total no go. At least IMO.

No, I would not pay anything to brew and sell my beer in that fashion.

Reminds me of this place in Vancouver BC:

http://www.callisterbrewing.com

When we stopped in (late afternoon) it was packed & there was beer from 4 different operations. Looked to me like hot side was shared. You might want to give them a call, I like the idea!

Ha. Several replies before I chimed in. I did not notice the OP date. I guess he found out on his own it was a no go. Or he is raking in the money. Though I doubt that.

Sounds like a logistic nightmare. I hope for his own sake he didn't end up spending a lot of time/money trying to get it off the ground.

Back