What would YOU do given you fermented in your bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusdau

Reaction score
Brewed IPA a couple weeks ago (OG 1.068) and everything went as planned. Fell into the 'primary fermenter only' camp, and had wort sitting in primary for 12 days now.

Added dry hops 3 days ago for anticipated bottling in 3 days (Sunday). Broke hydrometer and get new one tomorrow, but don't anticipate any delays...had a big starter (Wyeast 1056) and it bubbled like crazy the first couple days.

Now...going through the motions in my head, and realized my 'primary fermenter' poses a problem, as it is my bottling bucket with spigot. So, when I go to mix in the sugar for bottling, hello yeast trub that was settled.

I can rack to carboy, then back to bottling bucket on bottling day. Rack to carboy and bottle from it...but seems like a pain (I have tubing and racking cane). Prime each bottle with dextrose solution (I have a ton of dextrose). Go buy some priming tablets for each bottle. I have bottling wand for bottling bucket of course, which is really easy to use.

Any other thoughts, what would you do personally? Would like to see any opinions and rationale.

Thanks, Dustin

Put the priming solution in the carboy and siphon bottle from that. Next time do it right.

Totally rack it into the carboy. I carbed bottles individually once with sugar and got pretty inconsistent results. I've never used the priming tablets, so I can't speak for those, but I know I'd rather be sure that my priming solution was properly mixed with the whole batch of beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I see a consensus forming, but like Jim's idea of just buying another bucket, too. LHBS 8 miles away.

I love the title of this thread...can't stop chuckling...

Thanks!

Cheers! ;)

Ha...I think a Mod changed it, as I think I had a more open ended 'What would YOU do given...' to evoke some 'hits', but that title pretty much sums it up. Wish the learning curve didn't include mistakes! Nothing this Boulevard Tank 7 can't take care of, though.

...or maybe I decided for some humor. Don't remember, really.

I am another vote for picking up another bottling bucket. Because if nothing else it can be another fermentor and I just don't think you can have to many vessels to ferment in.

I am another vote for picking up another bottling bucket. Because if nothing else it can be another fermentor and I just don't think you can have to many vessels to ferment in.

I'd buy another bottling bucket too (I think, though I keg), but you could also rack to a carboy, clean the bucket, and rack back. Keep the tubing below beer level and you won't introduce too much O2. Cheaper option and you don't have to travel the 8 miles (jealous btw)

Back