What would you call this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchicken

Reaction score
Had a Back Porch Pale Ale kit that came with my fermentor that I needed to use up. Also had some Chocolate Wheat Malt (cracked) left over from when I goofed a recipe and over ordered.
What style of beer would you call this?

1.5 Lbs Weyermann Chocolate Wheat Malt
.5 LbsLbs Front Porch Ale Grains (whatever that is, looks like a light barley malt)
6 lbs Mallard Malts Gold LME
1 Oz Cascade Hops 4.8% ALPHA 60 minute boil
1 pack Muntons Active Brewing ALE yeast. (dry)

Beer was very dark, almost black and had a strong roasted smell that was more toward Coffee than Chocolate. Im thinking I made something like a porter or stout, or possibly transmission fluid.... Guess we will see ! :D

Sounds like a porter to me. I wouldn't call it a stout because of the absence of roasted barley.

Sounds good! If you like it be sure to try out some more black ales/lagers, they're one of my favorite styles. You basically act like your making a pale ale and throw in some carafa. Very crisp and drinkable like a pale ale but you get roasty flavors and a black yet crystal clear color.

I would call it a brown ale. Maybe a porter.
Usually black patent malt (or more specifically the character derived from it) is a defining characteristic of a porter.

Looks like the Front Porch steeping grains are 8oz of C40. The Gold LME is 99% base malt and 1% Carapils per Briess' data sheet (which is likely what the Maillard stuff actually is).

Like somebody else said, the absence of roasted grains, the C40 (porters don't often have much crystal), and the wheat malt (which is more common in English browns and milds) means you've probably made yourself a dark brown ale, an English mild, or a stout.

Looks good!

I would wait to taste it and call it whatever it drinks like. The chocolate wheat is a dark roasted grain at 400L - though it will be milder than regular chocolate. A lb and a half is kind of a lot though, maybe too much for a brown ale. English/brown porters often do have caramel malt and usually lighter roast, I'm guessing it will be like that.

Thanks ! I was wondering if I made transmission fluid or if it fit a known beer profile.

Back