What would you buy if you were me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
So I'm a new brewer, still pumped about all the possibilities. I'm blessed with a great job and have been able to purchase what I need to get brewing. I have some cash that I'd like to invest into my equipment and was hoping I could list what I have so far and get opinions on what would be the best bang for the buck.

Note: I only make ~5 gallon batch and currently am doing extract only

Brewing:
-8 gallon SS kettle with stainless ball valve (primary kettle)
-5 gallon SS kettle (primarily use for boiling water and sanitizing my wort chiller
-King Kooker dual burner cart (love this thing and it was cheap)
-Copper Wort Chiller - Best investment I've made, connects to water hose and I love it, first batch I tried the ice bath, what a pain and it took forever
-Fermcap-S
-21" stainless steel spoon
-2 dial thermometers

Fermentation:
2 - 6.5 gallon primary fermentation buckets
1 - 6.5 gallon primary fermentation carboy
2 - 5 gallon secondary fermentation carboys
Lots of airlocks, stoppers, blow off tubes, etc...
Lots of fermometers
Oxygenation Kit 2.0 (disposable oxygen from Home Depot)
Pail opening tool (life-saver, highly recommend)
Carboy handles (very helpful)

Yeast Management:
-2 - 2L Erlenmeyer Flasks
-1 - 1L Erlenmeyer Flasks
-2 Stir Plates (one new and one given to me after I bought the first one)
-Magnetic Stir Sticks

Racking:
Lots of tubing, auto-siphon

Bottling:
1 - 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with spigot
2 - bottle filling wands
1 - wing capper
Lots of 12oz and 22oz amber glass bottles
Bottle washer (sulfiter)
45 bottle drying tree
Lots of oxygen absorbing caps

Miscellaneous:
9 inch funnel with strainer (haven't found a use yet but hopefully I will)
Hydrometer
Refractometer

I really like my 8 gallon brew kettle, got it at my LHBS for $99 which included the stainless (weldless) ball valve, it has graduation marks inside which is nice. My only criticism is that when I'm brewing any bigger beers it gets pretty full (over 7 gallons) and I have to watch it like a hawk to prevent boil-overs. My LHBS convinced me it's all I would ever need but I'm regretting not getting a larger one. For now I'm just going to keep using it because it's like new and has performed really well so far.

If you all had say $300 to spend on anything knowing my current setup what would it be? (don't include a full grain setup because I plan on convincing my wife to buy me that for my upcoming birthday).

This forum is the absolute best resource I've seen on home brewing (aside from the two books I've purchased). Thanks for all the help, every question I've had I've found answers in other threads.

Thanks,

RP

Thanks so far guys.

My buddy and I are already in-progress of making a work table on heavy duty casters. I currently have a designated closet in a temperature controlled room (works well this time of year but fermentation chamber is definitely in the works). A buddy of mine is donating the chest freezer and I'm going to get a temp controller for it. I have StarSan and PBW already on the shelf.

I was considering the bench capper but I do want to get a kegging setup in the future so I was holding off until I decide what I'm doing.

If I do get a kegging setup, what do you guys recommend? Is 2 kegs enough? I was thinking about picking up a fridge off Craigslist and converting it. I get kind of confused about pin-lock vs ball lock, etc.... Not sure what to buy.

I recommend ball lock. Pin lock are a little wider (for all my freezers, pin locks would decrease the capacity because ball locks fit so snug), and its easier to just choose one and stick with it. I think a lot of pin locks don't have manual pressure relief either, which is nice to have. If you think 2 kegs is enough for what you brew, then go with that. Not even close for me, I have an 8-9 keg capacity chest freezer for serving, and I sometimes overflow into one of my 7 CF fermenting freezers. I also brew way too often and don't want to bottle anymore... Just make sure to bring a tape measure if you are looking for freezers/fridges. You need to make sure kegs will fit, and how many at that. Some standup freezers cannot have the shelves modified, so look for that. I prefer chest freezers, as they seem to be made to fit corny kegs perfectly in most cases, plus the cold air doesn't spill out when you open it.

bench capper. just because you keg, it doesn't mean you can't bottle any more. I do both.
chest freezer and temp controller.
if you're planning on going All Grain, a quality mill.

Temperature control is first in order of importance, IMO. My setup is a wine chiller that holds one fermenter. I have a fermwrap inside, and it is loosely attached to the inside walls. Everything is hooked up to a Johnson A419. It allows me to chill below the ambient temp and raise the temp above the ambient when necessary.

Kegging is great too. If you do go that route, I'd highly, highly suggest the Taprite dual regulator so you can have different beers at different PSIs. I often have a lawnmower beer at 12 and a stout at 8, or a root beer at 30 and a something-or-other at 12.

If I do get a kegging setup, what do you guys recommend? Is 2 kegs enough? I was thinking about picking up a fridge off Craigslist and converting it. I get kind of confused about pin-lock vs ball lock, etc.... Not sure what to buy.[/QUOTE]

2 kegs is not enough!
i would say a minimum of 3 taps...minimum. and you will want at least 2 additional kegs so when you kick one, you immediately have one to replace it with. (i sugar prime my kegs so all I gotta do is let it chill for a few days b4 tapping).
I have 6 taps and 9 kegs....it has been enough so far

as i understand it, one GIANT plus for ball locks is that they have a pressure release valve and pin locks do not. (I think)

Temperature control is first in order of importance, IMO. My setup is a wine chiller that holds one fermenter. I have a fermwrap inside, and it is loosely attached to the inside walls. Everything is hooked up to a Johnson A419. It allows me to chill below the ambient temp and raise the temp above the ambient when necessary.

Kegging is great too. If you do go that route, I'd highly, highly suggest the Taprite dual regulator so you can have different beers at different PSIs. I often have a lawnmower beer at 12 and a stout at 8, or a root beer at 30 and a something-or-other at 12.
I need a new regulator. I have a manifold, but not the awesome dual pressure regulator.

If I do get a kegging setup, what do you guys recommend? Is 2 kegs enough? I was thinking about picking up a fridge off Craigslist and converting it. I get kind of confused about pin-lock vs ball lock, etc.... Not sure what to buy.
2 kegs is not enough!
i would say a minimum of 3 taps...minimum. and you will want at least 2 additional kegs so when you kick one, you immediately have one to replace it with. (i sugar prime my kegs so all I gotta do is let it chill for a few days b4 tapping).
I have 6 taps and 9 kegs....it has been enough so far

as i understand it, one GIANT plus for ball locks is that they have a pressure release valve and pin locks do not. (I think)
I have 1 faucet right now. I have a Celli Tower I got a few years back but have no where to mount it. multiple kegs deserve multiple faucets. and if you're gonna do that, then see above about the regulator and manifold.

Thanks so far guys.

My buddy and I are already in-progress of making a work table on heavy duty casters. I currently have a designated closet in a temperature controlled room (works well this time of year but fermentation chamber is definitely in the works). A buddy of mine is donating the chest freezer and I'm going to get a temp controller for it. I have StarSan and PBW already on the shelf.

I was considering the bench capper but I do want to get a kegging setup in the future so I was holding off until I decide what I'm doing.

I just kegged my first batch ~2 weeks ago, and will only bottle my 1 gallon batches from now on. Is two kegs enough? Depends on how much you brew and how long you think it would take you to "float" the keg. For me, 2 is enough.

As far as pin lock vs ball lock, as mentioned ball locks have the pressure release. In my HBC everyone has ball lock, but me. So when I take a keg to an event I have to bring my own line. In the end both styles serve the same purpose.

Just as an FYI, I have a 5cu ft freezer and my 2 pin lock fit perfect and I have the "shelf" for the CO2 tank and storing my yeast and a few beers.

I have a 3 keg setup in my refrigerator. I suggest a chest freezer at least 7 cf. I have 3 fermented beers competing for the last keg.

I also like variety. Would love to have more kegs.

Pin lock and ball lock are not interchangeable. You need different connects for each. You can have both but will need both connect fittings. Best is one or the other it really doesn't matter which. If the pinlock keg lids do not have a pressure relief valve, you can add one. Pinlocks are less expensive now since ball locks have been snatched up over the years.

Check the vendors section on this site. Look around online, and, Craigslist finds can happen.

Temperature control is one of the most important factors in making consistently good beers (along w/ good cleaning & sanitation practices). So, id say invest in building or buying a ferm chamber w/ dual temp controller & accommodate three carboys.
That should leave you $100 or so for other "extras" for either bottling or getting started w/ kegging.

I was going to say fermentation temp control, but it sounds like you're already on top of that.

So, kegging it is! The good thing about kegging is that it's easy to grow over time. As another poster already mentioned, going with a dual-pressure regulator up front is a good idea. If you don't go dual, you'll spend time in the future wishing you did. The other advantage is that if you start with a dual regulator, you'll be able to take care of two kegs without needing a manifold. While you determine how big of a system you want in the future, it'll be easier to not have to split the CO2 lines to multiple kegs right up front.

The other thing, if you're building a true kegerator rather than just serving off picnic taps, is to go with the Perlick forward-sealing faucets. The typical rear-sealing faucets will stick like crazy in a homebrew application. Perlick fixes that problem.

As far as number of kegs, start with two and then expand as needed. Heck, I started with 1. Now I'm at like 13. But unlike a lot of brewing equipment, expanding your number of kegs doesn't render the old stuff obsolete, so there's no penalty for starting with a reasonable number and expanding later.

It's good to have a couple of kegs for serving, a couple waiting in the wings (or lagering) and an empty one for whatever's on deck. Five is the number that works for me, but my fridge only fits two kegs. I'm sure if I could fit more in there, I'd get more kegs.

$300 worth of ingredients to make more beer! In all honesty, yeah - if you have the time/space sounds like kegging is your nest step. I don't have either, so I'm bottling 4-life. Sounds liked you've got everything covered besides the kegging stuff.

How about a Chugger or March pump with fittings for when you do get into all-grain? You'll find yourself wanting one pretty quickly.

Ok. All this feedback has been great. I've got it narrowed down to two options. A fermentation chamber or a kegging system.

I live in a cool climate (pretty much year-round) and have very good temp control already so I'm going to pass on doing any type of ferm chamber right now. I don't plan on doing any lagers but if I do I will have to rethink this in the future.

So Kegging it is. I guess now I just need to figure out what to buy. If you all don't mind going to post a couple setups I've been looking at below.

Midwest-Supplies:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/draft-brewer-dual-keg-system-w-double-co2-regulator.html

Kegconnection:
http://www.kegconnection.com/2-faucet-fridge-homebrew-kegerator-kit/

I was also considering purchasing the connection kits for the Kegerator for a 3 or 4 keg system and then buying some reconditioned ball lock kegs from my LHBS. I think it might be less expensive. Any links to a good 3 or 4 keg connection system?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I do like shiny new things but in my case they'll be stuck in a refrigerator so I'm thinking the vanity is unnecessary.

RP

Another option is a Food Saver...

You can save a LOT of money on hops when you buy in bulk. And they're handy to have around the house for cooking too. Who knows... Your wife may not count it against your $300 if she gets to use it too ;)

Another option is a Food Saver...

You can save a LOT of money on hops when you buy in bulk. And they're handy to have around the house for cooking too. Who knows... Your wife may not count it against your $300 if she gets to use it too ;)

I would like to get one myself.

I would like to get one myself.

Warning! Getting a foodsaver will make you want to buy too many hops at one time.

DSCF2880 (640x426).jpg

Debatable benefit: must buy fresh foods, as freezer space is at a premium.

Edit: I vacuum seal my hops in Foodsaver bags with oxygen absorbers and then toss them in Mylar bags as a double barrier (sealed with an iron and whatever piece of metal is closeby, usually a stainless racking cane). Foodsavers don't normally seal Mylar bags, so don't let my picture mislead you.

Latest posts

Back