What would cause a PID temps to jump around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
A bit frustrated right now because my mash water is now 158 when I was shooting for 152. I actually set the temp for 148 and I was going to ramp up from there but after it hit 148 as soon as I started to bump up the temp the probe readout jumped all around until finally settling on 161. I confirmed the temp with a Thermapen. So while I thought I was heating to 148 it actually went to 161 and now I have to wait for it to cool before I can mash.

Any idea what would cause the PID to jump like that? Should I replace it or look for a wiring issue?

Most likely an issue with the temp sensor wiring - perhaps a bad solder joint, or loose connection. What type of sensor are you using? Do you have connectors in the sensor circuit?

Brew on :mug:

Most likely an issue with the temp sensor wiring - perhaps a bad solder joint, or loose connection. What type of sensor are you using? Do you have connectors in the sensor circuit?

Hey Doug,

I bought the system finished (I didn't build it) so I'm not entire sure but I think it's an Auber SYL-2362B. I could take a picture of the connections if you think that would help.

Hey Doug,

I bought the system finished (I didn't build it) so I'm not entire sure but I think it's an Auber SYL-2362B. I could take a picture of the connections if you think that would help.

It can't hurt.

Back