What will this recipe turn out as??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldarwin

Reaction score
Alright guys, so I had all the ingredients for an American Wheat, and then after the brewing process was all said and done, I'm not sure what I've ended up with. So here is what I did, I'd like for someone to tell me what is needed after this, i.e. dry hopping, secondary fermentation, or anything else. Thanks!

Partial mash (30 min @ 155-160 deg, 2.5 gal)
-2 lbs Flaked wheat
-1 lb Flaked Barley

Boil
-Brought to a 3 gal boil
-Added 3 lbs Wheat DME + 1lb Pilsen DME, returned to boil
-Added 1 oz Mt. Hood pellets (5.2%), and 1 oz Fuggles (4.7%)
-Boiled 30 min
-Added 1 oz Saaz Pellets (3.83%)
-Boiled 15 min
-Added 1 lb light DME + 1 tsp Irish Moss
-Boiled 10 min
-Added 1 oz Centennial Hops (10.7%)
-Boiled 5 min, ended boil.

-Pitched with Wyeast 1010 American Wheat, but I think it was old so I repitched 2 days later (after no fermentation) with Safbrew WB-06 (dry wheat yeast). Fermentation began on 12/21, the day I repitched it, and is still fermenting today (12/25). I have another ounce of Mt. Hood pellets and another ounce of Saaz pellets that I could dry hop with. My OG was 1.092 if I read it correctly.

Thanks guys!

Well, flaked grains don't have any diastatic power, and aren't steepable grains (like crystal malt), so they should give you a ton of starch.

Next time, make sure you either mash them in the same amount of base grain (3 pounds flaked grains mean using at least 3 pounds of base grain), or leave them out.

What size batch is this? If it's 5 gallons, there is no way you can have 1.092 as an OG.

The recipe is, well, not good. But the beer might turn out pretty tasty in spite of some of the recipe limitations. The hopping is not traditional, but I do like saaz hops and Mt hood, and centennial hops and that may be an ok mix.

Pale Wheat Ale. Look up Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin....won't be that good but that style would be my guess

Yeah I was a bit worried you guys would say that... I don't have a ton of experience (I've brewed 4 extract kits from Brewer's best) so this was my first time "creating" a recipe, but I guess I have to start somewhere.

Latest posts

Back