what will plastic do to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I just melted off a tiny bit of the end of a plastic (fake wooden) spoon in my boil. What will that do to my beer?

I don't know.

I will be suprized if you die. I would make sure to have a strong ferm and wait for the yeast to drop out fully. Hopefully, this will leave a clean fermentation and you will be able to tell if there is a substantial amount of plastic in the beer.

If in doubt dump it out. The reality is that people on these forums are way too concerned with "wasting" beer. Don't worry and dump it down the drain if you are concerned.

Also, certain degraded plastics may effect women more than men because our bodies mistake some compounds from degraded plastics as estrogren.

I'm not too worried about safety. Its a food grade spoon after all, just not heat tolerant. I've probably melted one in my chili before and still eaten it.

Can cause hormonal problems in women... or possibly low testosterone in men.... pick your poison... plastic residue, that is.

I'm not too worried about safety. Its a food grade spoon after all, just not heat tolerant. I've probably melted one in my chili before and still eaten it.

Don't worry then, drink up! You won't notice the taste of food grade plastic, just give it an extra week or 2 to dissolve any off flavors.

I got a metal spoon because I noticed I was melting bits of my plastic one. I didn't sweat it, and I think I'm still a manly man - so you should be okay on the testosterone/estrogen thing.
:)

Back