What will my OG be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the OG should be for the following grain bill for a 5 gal batch:

8lbs american 2 row
5lbs maris otter
4oz crystal 20
6oz crystal 80
4oz carapils
4oz torrified wheat
2oz honey malt
1/2 lb. dark brown sugar

I'm not sure how much WLP001 starter to make, 1 vial or 2

....ik it's a pretty dumb question, sorry

thanks

It depends on your efficiency...anywhere from around 1.060 if it is low to 1.080 or higher if it is better. Try an online calculator or brewing software.

Ok, so how many vials of wlp001 should I use for the starter? I don't want to over pitch...

You won't overpitch.

But do you mean how big of a starter or how many vials would you use without a starter? Try one of the online calculators like Mr. Malty if you want. I'll probably tell you to use 3 vials if you are going without a starter, or if you are using a starter it'll probably say anywhere from about .5 L to 2 L depending on whether or not you oxygenate and use a stir plate.

But all of those calculators tell you to pitch very large amounts of yeast, probably more than most people regularly do. And they are probably right that it is ideal to do so.

HopDr said:
You won't overpitch.

But do you mean how big of a starter or how many vials would you use without a starter? Try one of the online calculators like Mr. Malty if you want. I'll probably tell you to use 3 vials if you are going without a starter, or if you are using a starter it'll probably say anywhere from about .5 L to 2 L depending on whether or not you oxygenate and use a stir plate.

But all of those calculators tell you to pitch very large amounts of yeast, probably more than most people regularly do. And they are probably right that it is ideal to do so.

I'm asking how big of a starter. I have 2 vials of wlp001, should I use both or just 1?

If it were my brew, I would use one vial, start the starter at 600 mL for a day, and then increase that to 1 L and maybe do another day and increase it again to 1500 mL or so and go with that if you are planning on an OG of 1.080. You shouldn't need more than 1 L if the OG is around 1.060. But there is no point in using 2 vials if you are doing a starter. In fact, one of the main reasons to make a starter is to increase the number of cells so that you don't have to use more than one vial.

But really, try Mr. Malty or one of the other calculators, you can figure this out on there. Very simple and free.

Back