What type of therm for measuring mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dial thermometer in the mashtun wall, and a infrared/laser thermometer, small insta read thermometer and anything else i can get my hands on

dial thermometer in the mashtun wall, and a infrared/laser thermometer, small insta read thermometer and anything else i can get my hands on

don.t you find that makes you indecisive if you get a + or - degree on each one? Assuming all of them are not right on.

Get any one and learn a repeatable technique from batch to batch. Test it with both an ice bath reading (32f) and boiling water (200-212f temperature varies with location) for added confidence.

Most instruments are smarter than our techniques.
I have two glass ones, and now prefer the quicker reading digital.
Then there are thermocouples and Flukes... :rolleyes:
But consistent technique will ultimately make the most consistent beer.
That in turn will allow the brewer added confidence for creativity.

The best ones are apparently ThermoWorks Thermapen. Just got one for xmas and have only used it for food so far - it's impressive how quickly it measures temp. And I can walk around the house and the temp in each room varies a little - also comes with a certificate that says it's really accurate, so I'm assuming that means I can trust it over my other 3 thermometers. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

Thermapen. The one and only.

I would put a thermocouple in the MT if I had the rest of my set-up on a similar Love/BCS/Brewtroller setup, but I would always be worried about breaking it off when stirring the mash.

Also, you have to sample several areas of the MT, IMO, and the temp will stratify a little bit within a couple degrees.

yes, it differs, it just offers a sanity check, i found out after the first few ag batches that i had been using a thermometer that was off by 15 degrees, i had 2 other thermometers ther read within 2 dgrees of each other and third off in left field, extra thermometers are a sanity check for me. plus a laser /infrared
thermometer is just cool

yes, it differs, it just offers a sanity check, i found out after the first few ag batches that i had been using a thermometer that was off by 15 degrees, i had 2 other thermometers ther read within 2 dgrees of each other and third off in left field, extra thermometers are a sanity check for me. plus a laser /infrared
thermometer is just cool

Any links to laser/ infrared thermometers?
It seems like I saw a sale on one at harbor freight a while back. I thought those would mostly be acurate for surface temp so I did not bother.

The best ones are apparently ThermoWorks Thermapen. Just got one for xmas and have only used it for food so far - it's impressive how quickly it measures temp. And I can walk around the house and the temp in each room varies a little - also comes with a certificate that says it's really accurate, so I'm assuming that means I can trust it over my other 3 thermometers. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

damn I knew that someone was going to suggest this. I just hate the idea of paying that much. I know you get what you pay for.

you are correct about the surface temp, however it is useful, also things like your chiller temp, cooled wort temp it is usefule, and for an overall sanity check where nothing comes in contact with the wort.

Back