What type of Plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exayu

Reaction score
I am looking to build a build an electric brewery. I am slowly progressing with my build. I was wondering if it would be alright to have a 20A plug and with outlet from the control box to elements. The elements at are 4.5kW so that means at 240V I will have 18.75Amps.

That will be cutting it too close. If your running a new feed, go with 30A 10Ga.

I am looking to build a build an electric brewery. I am slowly progressing with my build. I was wondering if it would be alright to have a 20A plug and with outlet from the control box to elements. The elements at are 4.5kW so that means at 240V I will have 18.75Amps.
That is an extremely bad idea. The 20A plug and outlet are for 120V.

Do not do that.!

What type of cord and plug are you using?

That will be cutting it too close. If your running a new feed, go with 30A 10Ga.

In addition, you will want to use GFI for the whole system, to protect you from accidental electrocution.

It costs more, but it will be worth it when you suddenly have the GFI tripping and realize something leaked or went wrong and then you'd be happy it was the GFI and not you.

Back