What type of plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssurf

Reaction score
I am trying to grow a hops plant on my balcony... i know i wont get that much but i want to give it a try. My question being if you had to grow one hop plant what would it be?

Ølbart;1257856 said:
On a balcony? A dwarf variety like First Gold (a.k.a. Prima Donna) is pretty much your only viable choice.

Depending on your balcony and how much you can train the hops onto it, you may be able to grow more if you use a container and train the hops into the railing. I dont see you having to use a dwarf variety unless you dont have anything that you can train the hops onto.

I am trying to grow a hops plant on my balcony... i know i wont get that much but i want to give it a try. My question being if you had to grow one hop plant what would it be?

I have a relatively small balcony with southern exposure in a garden style condo. I planted a cascade rhizome last week into a 20" pot. Bought some organic potting soil, organic fertilizer spikes, and have been watering daily the past week. The balcony is small (6'x8') so all my potted herbs and plants along with a solitary wicker chair take up all of the space. I have some hanging plant brackets which I plan to use to support the training cordage.

It sounds like you could train any hops plant up and around. Give it a shot with something useful like cascade. The worst that happens is that it dies, right?

More space the better, but you can grow hops pretty much however you like. I read about one guy who grew them as a house/office plant and actually got a havest (a bit). Apparently just stringing it around his cube along a window or something. They are considered weeds after all :)

Back