What type of oats are used in brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewedsoIbrew

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to brewing beer and I was wondering what kind of oats people use in oatmeal stouts or when a recipe calls for just putting oats in a beer, I have a couple of questions, What do the oats do for the beer? And is there a special kind of malted oats? or do you use regular oatmeal you can get from the supermarkets?

I appreciate your helping our a newbie!

In an oatmeal stout I use Quaker oats or the equivalent generic store brand. Flaked oats are one and the same regardless of if they are bought from a homebrew store or Kroger.

I have not used other types. I know lightly toasting flaked oats is done also. Again this is easy to do at home in the oven/toaster oven. Edit: Malted oats are listed in Beersmith also as another type. I've never used them.

Oats (flaked) add a creamyness to the mouthfeel I suppose would be a good way to describe it. Not very good a verbalizing flavors/mouthfeel I'm afraid.

Your best bet would be to buy 2 stouts. An oatmeal and a dry stout and compare for yourself. Easiest way to get a feel for it. I've got Yooper's Oatmeal stout on tap right now. Its very tasty. A straightforward recipe too. I would highly recommend it.

Oatmeal Stout OG 1.056 FG 1.017 Used Wyeast 1028 DSC02482.jpg

Last edited:
I use a lot of oats, and not just in beer.

The flaked oats you get from the LHBS are bought in 50# bulk sacks and are as plain as they get. The flakes are very soft.

The 2lb 10oz round containers with Old Fashioned oats sold in supermarkets (Quaker, varies store brands) can be a bit different from the LHBS bulk sack ones, also depending on brand. All those are a bit crispier and taste toastier, so I reckon they've received a slight toast for flavor improvement. Among those, some brands (e.g., Quaker, Shurfine) seem slightly toastier than others (e.g., Aldi's), but this could be illusion or sample/lot differences, I haven't put them side by side for a taste test.

Any of these can be used, as well as instant oats (without additives). It helps speedier conversion by milling them and if used in larger quantities a cereal mash may add a bit more efficiency and easier lautering later.

If you want more character a slight toast in the oven will give you that. If you get them really dark they need to outgas for a week or longer, as with all grains.

Simpsons sells a crystal oat, Golden Naked Oats, which are like a C20, but from oats. Quite a unique product with an awesome flavor and "texture."

[...] Your best bet would be to buy 2 stouts. An oatmeal and a dry stout and compare for yourself. [...]

Oatmeal stouts belong to the sweet stouts and a different style from dry stouts (e.g., Guinness). They are quite incomparable in that regard.

Better compare an oatmeal stout with a regular (sweet) stout that doesn't use oats. The oats give a creamy, slick, slightly oily mouthfeel that is very unique. Helps with the head too. Around a pound in a 5 gal recipe is a good noticeable amount. 8 oz is subtle.

Oatmeal stouts belong to the sweet stouts and a different style from dry stouts (e.g., Guinness). They are quite incomparable in that regard.

Better compare an oatmeal stout with a regular (sweet) stout that doesn't use oats. The oats give a creamy, slick, slightly oily mouthfeel that is very unique. Helps with the head too. Around a pound in a 5 gal recipe is a good noticeable amount. 8 oz is subtle.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't intend to steer the OP wrong. Good info on the oats too. I just checked the ingredients on the oatmeal box. (A generic brand from Central Market here in TX) One ingredient; oats. I guess toasting or not does not need to be specified

Would an oatmeal stout and a milk stout be a better comparison?

Thanks for the correction. I didn't intend to steer the OP wrong. Good info on the oats too. I just checked the ingredients on the oatmeal box. (A generic brand from Central Market here in TX) One ingredient; oats. I guess toasting or not does not need to be specified

Would an oatmeal stout and a milk stout be a better comparison?

Glad to be able to add extra information. And although technically a sweet stout, oatmeal stouts are actually their own sub-style (13C), differentiating themselves from sweet stouts (13B) by not being as sweet and using oats for body and character and not lactose. Here are the BJCP guidelines for the 3 stouts in question as well as 3 others.

Oatmeal and milk stouts are both smooth and creamy. The milk stout has a much higher residual sweetness and thus feels thicker and fuller (lingers) while the oatmeal stout is generally drier and has an oily silkiness rather than lingering thickness. Hard to describe and putting both side by side is indeed a very good test for taste and mouthfeel differences.

Oatmeal stouts incorporating larger amounts of oats unmistakably show that unique grainy flavor too (think a combination of porridge and oatmeal cookies).

I think the slight toasting of the oats sold in the classic round tubs (compared to bulk sacks) helps with better perceived flavor and longer shelf life fighting off staleness, because of lower inherent moisture levels.

You will want to use "quick oats" as they have been pre-gelatinized. Regular traditional oats will need to be boiled first to gelatanize them. Quick oats can go directly into the mash as-is. I've used them in several brews and they work great.

You will want to use "quick oats" as they have been pre-gelatinized. Regular traditional oats will need to be boiled first to gelatanize them. Quick oats can go directly into the mash as-is. I've used them in several brews and they work great.

All rolled oats have been pre-gelatinized, at least to some extend by steam heating and hot rollers. Quick oats perhaps a bit more, they're flaked thinner and likely a bit more "cooked" during processing than "Old Fashioned." Either can be used directly in the mash. Run them through your mill though.

Now steel cut oats (groats) do need to be cooked well before adding to the mash. Wouldn't hurt to do a cereal mash with them too.

Are you certain quick oats have been gelatinized and don't need to be cooked prior to mashing?

I milled my oats (.029") and did not use rice hulls and had the worst stuck sparge ever. I did use a good amount of oats (1.75 lbs) for what was supposed to be a 5 gal batch but ended up being a 4.5 gal batch.

I do BIAB and use a large colander to sparge in, along with the base of a cup to squeeze the wort out.

It's quick oats I've been using. I have not been milling them. Nor have I milled flaked barley when I use it. Should I be? Is there an argument for either milled or non-milled. First time I've heard this advised.

It's quick oats I've been using. I have not been milling them. Nor have I milled flaked barley when I use it. Should I be? Is there an argument for either milled or non-milled. First time I've heard this advised.

They're all raw grain adjuncts, so the faster they fall apart into smaller pieces the better and quicker the enzymes can get to them to convert.

I mill them through a narrow gap (.024"), like wheat and rye malt.

I am by no means an expert on oats. My understanding is primarily based on advice from people who have more experience than I (granted, not a very high bar).

I understood that the main thing with quick oats is that they are smaller and able to gelatinize in the mash. The same theory maintains that traditional oats have to be boiled since they won't fully gelatinize in the mash. Maybe milling traditional oats would accomplish the same thing. I've never tried that.

I also understood that, in general, flaked grains shouldn't be milled. Not exactly sure why and I've never tried it so I have no experience in that regard. The four brew shops in my area (including the one owned by the authors of Beer Captured) all have told me I shouldn't mill flaked grains. To be honest, I never asked why so I have no idea.

BTW, my wife just asked me what I was writing. When I told her, she just rolled her eyes and made the universal sign of thumb and forefinger to her forehead ("loser"). This is what my life has become ... in depth discussions of the biochemical reactions of oats :D

Back