What type of line to use for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
There are tons of PVC lines I see at home improvement stores that are very cheap, and then of course the stuff on all the homebrew type sites and stores. But is there really anything fancy about a PVC line, or is there any reason I couldn't use the cheap stuff from Lowes? :confused:

As with most things in life you get what you pay for. If you like substandard, non-food grade tubing that will impart a nasty plastic taste in all of your beer, then go for it.

For most of us, we want to actually taste our beer unaltered. That will only happen with high quality lines. Besides, it's only like $0.40/ft - that's not really expensive in the great scheme of things.

But as long as it's food grade, and PVC like the other lines, there should be no problem with it imparting flavors right?

But as long as it's food grade, and PVC like the other lines, there should be no problem with it imparting flavors right?

Not really, as just about all PVC will impart some off-flavors. How much is tolerable is up to you. But generally, the slight increase in cost of better line will be justified in the long run.

Sorry, I was referring to the bev-seal variety as being the way you should go (http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843564.htm).

Also, double check the ID and OD of the line you are talking about from the hardware store. I'm pretty sure it's not the thick-walled tubing you need for beverage lines.

I think the line that came with my kegging kit from the brew store is PVC, I assumed most lines were, but I found some at the hardware store that said they weren't for food grade usage. You might be right about the diameter though. I need to order some because I'm going from picnic tap to installing it in my kegerator. I'm having difficulty getting the right carbonation from my beers but I think it's because the little picnic tap has such short lines for the serving pressure I'm hoping to use, around 10-12 PSI.

Back