What to say when homebrew is no good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a wedding.
The groom made all the libations.
They were not good.
When I say not good...many were gushers...blowing up on guests.
All of one variety clearly were infected (cheerios anyone?)

Groom seemed to think all was right with the world.

I certainly wasn't going to say a word at his wedding.

Is staying quiet the right thing to do? Maybe he'll never learn to make "good" drinks if nobody speaks up...are we doing a disservice by not telling the truth?

Yes, I would stay quiet. The inner crap stirrer in me would grab the groom by the shoulder, lean into his ear and say... hey bud, just opened one of those gushers... now my shirt is as wet as your wife at her bachelorette party.

Even if he's a friend and could take it, why stain his memories of a special day.

If he's making mistakes, he'll keep making them, comment on a future brew. But only if your opinion is solicited and you think he'll be receptive.

Depends how well you know the groom and if he's in your circle of friends. If he is one of your "friends" ask if he'd like some straightforward comments about his beers and invite him to bring them to a tasting panel of 3-4 people who's beer judgement and taste is known and respected.

This is a classic post.

I'd say something before somebody loses an eye.

I'd march right up to him and say, "Hey, what the hell kind of $&%$# beer you serving us here Bub? Then I'd turn and hit the open bar, and the bacon-wrapped scallops (He'd better have some of those).

Depends how well you know the groom and if he's in your circle of friends. If he is one of your "friends" ask if he'd like some straightforward comments about his beers and invite him to bring them to a tasting panel of 3-4 people who's beer judgement and taste is known and respected.

I'm usually free Saturday nights. Hit me up. Bad beer is still beerz

Back