What to line custom kegorator with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cegan09

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a project to build a kegorator into a small freestanding bar I had built. The idea is to dismantle my old kegorator fridge and build the refrigeration pieces into a custom built enclosure. The fridge was one that used the freezer shelf as the cold plate, so stripping all the old structure away from it should be fairly easy with minimal risk of damage. The part I'm not sure about is what to line the inside of the new enclosure with. Most fridges or freezers are plastic lined because it's water proof and easy to clean. I'm guessing it would be best to just find some thin sheets of plastic, cut into the right size panels and then silicone the seems?

Anyone know of other similar projects to point me at for reference?

I'm working on a project to build a kegorator into a small freestanding bar I had built. The idea is to dismantle my old kegorator fridge and build the refrigeration pieces into a custom built enclosure. The fridge was one that used the freezer shelf as the cold plate, so stripping all the old structure away from it should be fairly easy with minimal risk of damage. The part I'm not sure about is what to line the inside of the new enclosure with. Most fridges or freezers are plastic lined because it's water proof and easy to clean. I'm guessing it would be best to just find some thin sheets of plastic, cut into the right size panels and then silicone the seems?

Anyone know of other similar projects to point me at for reference?

Is there a reason you don't want to use the existing fridge body and just enclose it? Seems much easier

For sure that would be easier. But doing it this way lets me design it to hold exactly the kegs I want with a bit more room. The current fridge holds two but is very cramped. I'd like to make room for 3 plus a small reservoir to hold coolant to run through the tower in order to keep the lines cooler. And I'd like it to look like it was designed for the bar it's going into, not just like I stuck a mini fridge there and slapped some plywood around it.

This is the bar, I built it a couple years ago for the apartment I lived in. The house we bought already had a bar area that we'll use for all the bottles and glassware. We're putting the old bar in the kitchen to use mostly as a coffee+tea station. We have nowhere really good to put the old kegorator, it doesn't fit in the built in bar area, and it looks ugly on it's own. So enclosing the bottom of the old bar seems like the best way to retain the functionality and have it not look terrible. I'm drinking less beer these days too, so the idea is to have one or two kegs devoted to cold brew coffee or iced tea in the summer, and probably carbonated water other times of the year.

zJ0aMpj.jpg

For sure that would be easier. But doing it this way lets me design it to hold exactly the kegs I want with a bit more room. The current fridge holds two but is very cramped. I'd like to make room for 3 plus a small reservoir to hold coolant to run through the tower in order to keep the lines cooler. And I'd like it to look like it was designed for the bar it's going into, not just like I stuck a mini fridge there and slapped some plywood around it.

Hmm can you expand the floor area (I assume the hump in the back is the limiting factor?) to accomodate a 3rd keg?

The reason I'm going this route is because you are going to be in for a world of hurt if you try to fabricate something truly water tight out of plastic panels that isn't vacuum molded from a single piece.

As for "looking like a fridge with some plywood around it" - that can looks as good or as bad as you want it to really

Here's my freezer with some plywood slapped around it 😁
57558272310__B92B1593-2252-4709-8AC0-DCBF3995B62E.JPG

I'll clarify the statement. The fridge itself would fit under that bar, there is space. But it would still be a mini fridge stuffed under the bar, and my woodworking skills aren't good enough to wrap it nicely enough to not look awful. But my general construction skills are decent enough that I can enclose the bottom of the bar in foam panel insulation, an outer wood skin to match the bartop, and nicely hide the refrigeration portions.

I think it should be possible to seal the inside well enough with standard bathroom silicone if I cut the plastic panels accurately enough.

I'm mocking it up in CAD first, because that's how I work. As long as I think it will all fit I'll charge on and see where it gets me. Worst case I'm out one mini fridge that's served well in life and owes me nothing.

I'll clarify the statement. The fridge itself would fit under that bar, there is space. But it would still be a mini fridge stuffed under the bar, and my woodworking skills aren't good enough to wrap it nicely enough to not look awful. But my general construction skills are decent enough that I can enclose the bottom of the bar in foam panel insulation, an outer wood skin to match the bartop, and nicely hide the refrigeration portions.

I think it should be possible to seal the inside well enough with standard bathroom silicone if I cut the plastic panels accurately enough.

I'm mocking it up in CAD first, because that's how I work. As long as I think it will all fit I'll charge on and see where it gets me. Worst case I'm out one mini fridge that's served well in life and owes me nothing.
Fair enough - CAD is an awesome tool for this, I mocked mine up in CAD as well and it helped me a ton with cutting all the boards to the right measurements and stuff. If you can cut straight and measure straight, you don't need any woodworking skills beyond that! Just remember that there's not such thing as perfect woodworking, only good trim.

Engineer by trade, I have zero hand drawing skills so CAD is my sketchbook. I do most of my projects in CAD first to get a good handle on what I need to build. The bar was fully modeled before I even started, so I just made a copy of the design and changed the shelves and wine rack out for an enclosure.

I think this should be possible. Using 1/4" finish plywood for the outer skins, then 2" foam insulation board and then a .05" or thinner plastic sheet to line the inside there is just enough space for 3 kegs side by side leaving space on the side for CO2 and Nitrogen tanks (haven't detailed out the side door yet). I'll have to build in the same step in the back so the refrigeration system can sit there, but then I can cover the back with a decorative mesh so it's not too ugly (the back side will be visible in the location we're putting this). The space to the left of the step should be plenty for a small reservoir of coolant for tower chilling lines, and the step acts as a "keep out" zone for where the chill plate will be against the rear wall. I can put a fan on the step to keep air moving if I want.

I'd like to say I'll have this built in a week, but knowing how many house projects I currently have, this is probably a by the middle of summer project at best. I'll update as i make progress.

bar iso.JPGdoor open.JPGfront no kegs.JPGrear.JPG

fwiw, you can buy 8'x4' smooth FRP panels at big box diy stores. I used one to form a one piece drip panel that my brew rig sits in.
It's just under a 1/10th" thick and pretty tough stuff, and you can heat up and bend it 90° easily.

Cheers!

Instead of plastic for the inside, on top of the foam I lined the inside of mine with Aluminum foil (shiny side in( and covered it with plexiglass - I would use PETG today.

Last edited:
FRP is a decent idea, since they use it for bathrooms I know it will bond to silicone. I've been kind of just using the word plastic as a placeholder for whatever material I end up using. PET of some variety isn't a bad option either.

I did this exact thing several years back. Didn't bother lining it with anything, but I imagine something like shower wall panels would work.

I had major problems with water when I ran mine. It either collected several inches of ice on the chiller, or got water all over the place if I tried to keep it from freezing over since there is no system in place for diverting condensation inside the box.

Ended up ditching the bar after I found water all over the basement floor.

Back