What to focus on this this water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew4Scott

Reaction score
Hi All - I have started using tap water to brew my beer with decent results.

I have simply been adding camden tablets to the water to offset the Chlorine.

I am interested in taking this to the next level and have obtained my local water report.

Anyone out there interested in taking a peek and helping hone in on what to pay attention to in the report?

Below is a link:
http://plano.gov/DocumentCenter/View/24821

Cheers,

Scott

You should, most of the time, be able to get fairly good beers from this water if you just assume the alkalinity to be half way between the maximum and minimum values reported and supply acid, sauermalz, sauergut or dark grains in sufficient quantity to neutralize that level of alkalinity. The potential problem with this water source is that it draws from a lot of different sources with the consequence that the product is quite variable in mineral content and pH (not so important). To do a first rate job with water you need to chase the variations which some do by testing before each brew session. Others dodge this bullet by removing the mineral content (and, thereby, the variations therein) with RO or distillation systems.

Latest posts

Back