What to do with toilet braid hose after getting false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi all, I decided to spend the cash on a false bottom as I kept kinking up the braid with my mash paddle and now I figure with a false bottom I can really churn the crap out of it... anyway, should I take off the braid when I put the false bottom on top? Some people said they put a sponge in there to help filter, so I was thinking I might just leave it on. Then on the other hand I don't want it to take forever to drain the contents.

If I understand your question.....

If you got a good false bottom, you will never need an inch of that braided hose. The stainless false bottom was one piece of equipment that has never let me down, and I've never regretted a penny spent on the thing.

this is a fair question. i made the switch from braid to false bottom. my clarity suffered. as much as i recirculate, i still cant get the first runnings crystal clear. and at the end of syphoning off my first runnings, i start sucking grains through. i am contemplating putting a small braid on my dip tube under my false bottom but i am worried about it for some reason. what do you guys see as the drawback from using both a false bottom and braid together?

. what do you guys see as the drawback from using both a false bottom and braid together?

Absolutely no drawback as long as you don't get a stuck sparge. If you put a golfball sized piece on sponge underneath the uptake orifice on your false bottom you will get rid of almost all the "flour".

Actually everything will fall out in your fermenter eventually, and it's more or less cosmetic as far as wanting crystal clear wort coming out of your MLT.

Back