What to do with failed brew experiment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonsai4tim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
couple of week ago was making Thai food (purple sticky rice pudding) and decided to use some of the purple rice in a 2 gallon beer recipe:

1/3 coupe purple rice
1 lb pale malt
2 pounds pale LME
1/2 oz Hallertau (20 min boil)
1/2 oz (flame out)

S-33 yeast

Chill over night

Boiled purple rice in 2 quarts water for 35 min--very dark purple
Added malt and water to bring temp to 160, kept at 148-150 for 60 minutes.

Added rest of water, brought to boil, added LME late.

OG 1.045, BUT, turned a plane brown color during the mash.

I believe the "red" color is pH sensitive (like many reds in veggies--Its not heat sensitive as it stays red even when boiling the rice for an hour)

So now I've got a brown clear ale going on 10 days in primary. No interesting color, probably bland flavor at this point---at best it will have a faint nutty flavor from the rice.

So any suggestions for turning this into something else?

Rack off 1 gall. and add to 4 gall. apple juice (for Graff)?
Add fruit (Blueberries? Raspberries?)

tim

Well done on being adventurous. Too many people just follow what they know or what some one else has discovered.

I would let it run it's course and see how it works as is before you try to correct mid-course. You might find it conditions well.

Update:

It cleared up, was a faint red color after 10 days. So I was getting hopeful.

But it failed worse than I thought--something in the red rice really doesn't work well with yeast--the hydrometer sample I pulled off smelled like someone had vomited in it several days before.

Couldn't even make myself taste it. (I've had Belgian style sour beer before, it definitely wasn't that.

It did attenuate from 1.045 to 1.015, but I don't think I've smelled much worse (even with 20 years working in and around hospitals).

Down the drain it went, and lit a few of SWMBO's smelly candles to cover up the smell.

t

Latest posts

Back