What to do with an old computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I have an old desktop computer (about 10-12 years old) that I'm not sure what to do with. I was thinking about using some of the components to make a control panel but I'm not sure what might be usable. For instance, the built-in power supply, can that be used in control panel or possible in another DIY beer related project? Any thoughts?

the only usable voltage on the power supply for a homebrew rig would be the 12v and even that would be tight since they amps that 12v pumps require would be maxing it out.... if you short the green wire to a black on the suplly it will make it turn on and off in many cases but some supplies require adding a resistor as a load for the power supply to see in order to stay running.

you could always install beersmith or use it to control a BCS controller if you go that route...

Install Linux and run the Linux version of Beersmith2. :)

Agreed. It's probably best left whole and used as a computer, rather than attempting to tear it apart for useful components. Other than the power supply, there's not much inside that's very simple to repurpose. You could even just sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks, then spend that on beer equipment. :)

If you happen to have access to an Arduino, you can install the BrewPi software (http://www.brewpi.com/) on the computer, then hook it up to the Arduino and use it to monitor and/or control fermentation temps. I plan on doing this with an old craptop, once I get my hands on the 'duino and some other bits.

Edit: Heh, balrog beat me to it. I want the squiggles!

For some time I have been thinking about turning an old computer case of mine into a place to keep a rims tube and pump---much like the guys you see put a rims tube and pump in a tool box---with perhaps the control panel built in as well. The advantage with a computer case being the fans and ventilation.

Fans, hard drive magnets, wires, screws, motherboard standoff spacers, laser from cd-rom. All of those are good to save before junking the old thing.

ATX power supplies are also good to save for an electronics bench DC power supply. They work very well for doing prototyping work since they have 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails.

For some time I have been thinking about turning an old computer case of mine into a place to keep a rims tube and pump---much like the guys you see put a rims tube and pump in a tool box---with perhaps the control panel built in as well.

Cool idea, I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Fans, hard drive magnets, wires, screws, motherboard standoff spacers, laser from cd-rom.

I have to ask, what in the world are those useful for? Is the light visible?

Agreed. It's probably best left whole and used as a computer, rather than attempting to tear it apart for useful components. Other than the power supply, there's not much inside that's very simple to repurpose. You could even just sell it on Craigslist for a few bucks, then spend that on beer equipment. :)

If you happen to have access to an Arduino, you can install the BrewPi software (http://www.brewpi.com/) on the computer, then hook it up to the Arduino and use it to monitor and/or control fermentation temps. I plan on doing this with an old craptop, once I get my hands on the 'duino and some other bits.

Edit: Heh, balrog beat me to it. I want the squiggles!

Mmmmmmmmm, dataaaaaaaaaa (note I left off fridge temp and added my own setpoint lines so this is graphically modified to show someone else something)

Golden Ale 2 BrewPi Screenshot 20141008.png

I have to ask, what in the world are those useful for? Is the light visible?

This is part of the weirding way that we will teach you. Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs.

This is part of the weirding way that we will teach you. Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs.

Lay off the spice man, you'll contaminate the water supply.

Lay off the spice man, you'll contaminate the water supply.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

"How can this be? For he IS the Quizarts Hadderakt!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of liking the idea of using the case for control panel. I need a portable control panel rather than a fixed panel. I also like the idea of using the magnets for the plate cooler but I can't visualize it in my brain. I use an IPad for my BeerSmith software so I don't need the computer for that. Thanks for the ideas!

I'm kind of liking the idea of using the case for control panel. I need a portable control panel rather than a fixed panel. I also like the idea of using the magnets for the plate cooler but I can't visualize it in my brain. I use an IPad for my BeerSmith software so I don't need the computer for that. Thanks for the ideas!

Magnets are for making a stir plate. :) You place them on a computer fan in a "project box" from Radio Shack and voila, the magnets cause your stir bar to spin as the computer fan spins. :)

Magnets are for a stir plate, not a cooler. However, the fans could be used in a cooler and a stir plate.

Does anyone have a stir plate DIY project using magnets that you can point me to?

Back