What to do with all my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
Ave lots of fresh hops. What do I do with them all ? Freeze, grind up , jar, let dry then store , any help would b great

i would say vacuum pac them and put in the freezer. That is purely an guess on what you should do...but sounds feasible to me.

From what I've read, dry, vacuum pack, store in freezer. At least that's where I keep my hops. I have a FoodSaver and I reseal the bag each time I pull some out. I should also add that I don't use the bag they came in, I transfer the unused portions to a FoodSaver bag.

im mixing it up leaving some wet and drying some. however all going in foodsaver bags and getting vacuumsealed.

Hmm sounds like you've got too many, better send them off to me; I'll put them to good use.

The way you are packing and saving them shouldn't be a problem - although freezer "wet" hops will cause the water inside the plant to crystalize and expand; whether this is bad for the hops or not I can't comment on as I've only ever used dry hops; I'm sure one of the more experianced growers/brewers can chime in.

I dry and vacuum seal all my hops. I use food saver like pint bags which will hold an ounce of hops. It's more labor intensive than just dumping them in big bags. However on brew day I just pull individual portions cut and drop. No measuring necessary.

Hmm sounds like you've got too many, better send them off to me; I'll put them to good use.

The way you are packing and saving them shouldn't be a problem - although freezer "wet" hops will cause the water inside the plant to crystalize and expand; whether this is bad for the hops or not I can't comment on as I've only ever used dry hops; I'm sure one of the more experianced growers/brewers can chime in.

yes I do have to many hops.

Consider calling a local craft brewery and see if they would like to use your hops to experiment with a wet hop cask or use them for something else. You never know, they might give you some interesting strain of yeast in return.

I like that idea, we need to bring back the barter and trade system; swapping goods or services with others/breweries is a great idea IMHO - I typically trade beer with other homebrewers, wine with other wine makers etc.

Back