what to do with a whiskey barrel when its time is done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
My wife thinks I can do something creative with the one I have. I have no idea what to do though. I have seen people turn the large barrels into tables and sinks. But what can I really do with a 5 gallon whiskey barrel? Any ideas?

I have one that I've let dry out and I won't try to put beer in it again (very expensive experiment since I only got 2 batches in it ;)). But my plan is maybe a plant stand for our deck.

Hey where did you get your 5 gallon barrel? How did your beers come out?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I got mine from a local distillery. I was going to do the planter but there must be something Cooler to do with it

Hey where did you get your 5 gallon barrel? How did your beers come out?
I got my in a group buy through my home brew club. They got them from Balcones Distillery in TX. I made 2 beers with it and they both came out good, but barrel maintenance makes me thing I'll never buy another again. I got my barrel for ~$55 (they regularly go for $90 + shipping) and I made 2 batches with it. So that basically doubled the cost of those beers. Not worth it to me when you can basically buy some wood chips for a few bucks. Looked cool though :cool:

You could turn it into a wooden smoker. I saw a TV show where they took a full size wine barrel and cut the top of the barrel, just below the 2nd band, lined the bottom with couple inches of sand and then stacked flat brick pavers on top of that. Then built a fire on top of that. They had 4 I-bolts in the sides to hold the grate up. Looked cool as heck and said the food had a great smoke flavor to it.

My plan for my 10 gallon barrel is Old Ale, Barley Wine, Quad, Flanders Red, then Lambic, Lambic, Lambic. I plan on getting at least 3 clean beers out of it then souring the barrel and using it for an extended time.

I had a full size whiskey barrel that had a crack/leak so I could not use it for aging beer. I broke it apart and saved all the wood. I made tap handles with some of the staves, I made two plaques (awards) for my local homebrew club from the top. I used more of the staves in the smoker. I cut up some staves into cubes and gave them to fellow brewers as a gift/grab bag item. I used some of the cubes in my own beers (oak aged oatmeal stout was delicious). I still have some staves left so I may have to come up with some other ideas.

barrel-furniture-1.jpg

dog-bed-barrel-100.jpg
traditional-furniture.jpg
barrel-bench.jpg
wine-barrel-cooler-200.jpg

images

Those are some pretty cool pictures. But I cant use a 3.5 or 5 gallon barrel for any of those.

I've always wanted a bar made from a whiskey barrel. A wine rack and shelf in the bottom and then the top solid for a decanter or two and some low balls.

Back