What to do with a bucket that's had an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So I got an infection. It's in a brand new bucket too! It does have a plastic spigot as well. I suspected a bad batch of yeast due to no airlock activity after 4 days so I took a gravity sample through the spigot. Not sure if that's how I introduced the nasties or when I pitched new yeast through the top lid. Anyways it's a new bucket and has no scratches but it is plastic. Can I reuse it and the spigot or should I pitch both?

As far as I know, it should all be reuseable after a serious soak and rinse in PBW. If I wanted to play it extra safe, I'd probably replace the spigot since they can be really hard to completely clean and I'd rather spend the $3.50 than risk my next batch.

If they are all HDPE, you can literally soak and/or fill it with boiling water for a heat-based biological kill which will get crevices which may be missed by chemicals.

Accidentally replied to the wrong thread. *ignore this message*

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd ditch that bucket altogether and buy one without a spigot. You really shouldn't need to buy a new one if you sanitize well enough... But they're cheap enough that I probably wouldn't risk it. YMMV.

If it were me, I'd ditch that bucket altogether and buy one without a spigot. You really shouldn't need to buy a new one if you sanitize well enough... But they're cheap enough that I probably wouldn't risk it. YMMV.

^^^THIS! Use one bucket without a spigot for your fermentor & another with a spigot for bottling.

So I know you just bought it and you can keep it, several years ago I had a lacto infection and I didn't throw anything out I just used a strong bleach solution to clean everything. I would remove the spigot and boil it then use the same solution of bleach to then soak it in. Just because it's plastic doesn't mean you have to ditch it.

So I know you just bought it and you can keep it, several years ago I had a lacto infection and I didn't throw anything out I just used a strong bleach solution to clean everything. I would remove the spigot and boil it then use the same solution of bleach to then soak it in. Just because it's plastic doesn't mean you have to ditch it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your advice, but I think it's prudent to mention that boiling a strong bleach solution is dangerous and can release chlorine gas.

I'm waiting for my first infection still, kinda looking forward to it almost. Gives me an excuse to get a stainless brewbucket and start brewing sours :thumbup:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your advice, but I think it's prudent to mention that boiling a strong bleach solution is dangerous and can release chlorine gas.

Yeah I don't think that is what he said or meant, but good catch for safety's sake non the less.

:mug::mug::mug:

Oh yes that is a total misunderstanding! Not boil bleach, just boil the spigot. And separate of that use a strong bleach solution to clean everything else.

I would risk using it again. Bleach bomb or boil. Not really sure that boiling water won't deform the bucket though. Make a small batch SMaSH. Maybe use up some old hops. If that batch doesn't go bad everything should be good.

I don't like spigots for fermenters for that reason. I would not trust that infection would not start in them. You are also trusting a $3.50 chunk of plastic to hold for at least 7-10 days. I could see breaking one off while moving the bucket around if you are not careful.

Back