What to Do with 5g Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ztexz

Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone --

So SWMBO surprised me with two nice, shiny new carboys -- only problem is they are 5g, not 6.5g. Since she bought them online, I don't want to go through the hassle of returning them if I don't have to. (I'm trying to sell them on Craigslist, but I live in a small town that doesn't have much of a homebrewing scene, so no takers yet.)

Assuming that I can't sell them and buy the 6.5g carboys, I've come up with the following options for using them. I was wondering what people think. (Note: I currently have one 6.5g carboy)

I'll probably dedicate one of the 5g carboys to EdWort's apfelwein. I can't get enough of the stuff, and it doesn't seem to produce any real kraussen, so head space isn't an issue.

With the other one, here's what I've come up with:

1) Do a regular 5g batch, and use a 1" blow-off tube. I'm not wild about this idea because I like to do very long primary fermentations and let everything settle back in. I feel like the blow-off method is based on some out-dated ideas about the value of kraussen and carrying away various proteins, tanins, etc.

On the other hand, this is probably the easiest way to put the 5g carboy into service.

2) High gravity ferment, then dilute. I thought of borrowing this technique from the big commercial brewers. Basically, I would use the ingredients for a 5-gallon batch, but only do a 4-gallon boil, figuring that about 3.5 gallons would be left. I'm guessing that putting 3.5g in the primary fermenter would leave enough head space in the 5g carboy.

My thought would be then to add de-oxygenated water (boiled then quickly cooled) to the batch -- probably at the same time I was racking it to the bottling bucket to ensure proper mixing of the two.

The danger here, as I see it, is having too much oxygen dissolve back into the water while I'm waiting for it to cool.

3) Go old school and use the 6.5g carboy to do primary ferments and then rack it into the 5g for secondary.

My problem with this is that I'm a firm believer that secondary is an unnecessary step, and I like to leave my beer on the yeast cake for a good long time.

So, I ask you, fellow Homebrewers, which of those 3 options would you recommend and why? (FWIW, I'm leaning toward Option 2.)

You're overthinking this. Keep them around and uses will present themselves.

Long-term bulk aging is probably the most common (big beer, wine, mead, etc)
Smaller and/or split batches (brew a 6g batch, split between the two, use 2 different yeasts) are also common
Oak/vanilla etc or other secondary-recommended uses

why not do 4-gallon batches? that's what i do with my 5-gal carboy when the 6.5's are full. software like BeerSmith makes it easy to scale down. easier to experiment on a 4 gal batch, less at stake :mug:

alternately, if you have the equipment: brew 8 or 9 gallon batches and split between the two 5-gal carboys.

another option is to get a 1-gallon jug, buy the correct drilled bung/stopper for it, and ferment 0.75 gallons in it and the other 4.25 in the 5 gallon carboy (actual capacity is 5.5, i believe). add all 5 gallons of wort to the 5-gal carboy, pitch yeast, mix/aerate, then transfer 3/4 of a gallon to the jug.

look into fermcap: it helps control krausen. could be useful if you're running short of headspace.

Or you just ferment in a 5 gal carboy with 5 gal and set up a blow off. You might lose a little bit, but I've done it plenty of times.

I have a few 5Gal glass carboys. I used to be nervous to primary a 5 gal batch in them. But did it one day and now do it all the time. I know its not common practice or recommended to do so. But if you do a regular gravity beer and keep ferm temps low you don't lose barely any beer.

my 5 gallon carboys are in much higher demand than my 6 gallon carboy.

why? because fermentation doesn't take long, but bulk aging takes forever.

Thank you, everyone. I think this is about to become a moot issue as I just got contacted about selling them. Murphy's Law.

Still, I'll raise a glass to you this evening in appreciation for your help.

Sounds like a great excuse for mead or wine. If really don't use them then you wouldn't miss them agog some mead in one for the next year.

Both my 5 gall carboys are currently tied up. One has my vanilla mead in it and the other a belgian golden strong. I can't start my wine until a free up one of them. Good thin the belgian only has another month left before bottling.

1) Do a regular 5g batch, and use a 1" blow-off tube. I'm not wild about this idea because I like to do very long primary fermentations and let everything settle back in. I feel like the blow-off method is based on some out-dated ideas about the value of kraussen and carrying away various proteins, tanins, etc.

Either you need a blow off or you don't. The krausen is only 'carried' away is the alternative is a clogged airlock and a soon to be carboy bomb. I see that you mean about using a smaller fermenter but just scale down the recipe if you're worried.

Now aren't you wondering why this person wants them so bad and maybe you should keep them?:D

Haha, well, he makes a lot of fruit wine. Aside from Apfelwein, that's not really my thing -- and as much as I love the stuff, having 5g always cooking suits my needs just fine.

My buyer was very, very excited though. Apparently the 5g carboys are hard to get here for some reason.

I agree with TyTanium.

I have a 7.8-gallon primary and two 5-gallon glass carboys (used for big beers and to free-up the primary fermenter if I need to brew another batch of beer).

I saw a video I think it was brewing tv or something on YouTube where the guy made a blow off catch can. Where the blow off tube runs into a jar with and air lock on it so you don't lose any beer. It looked like a smart idea you could try that if you don't sell them

Latest posts

Back