What to do with 14 # of DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What to do with 14 # of LME ? I have 7 # of Light Malt Extract and 7 # of Wheat LME and looking to use it up ? kinda burnt out on a normal Wheat beer
want to brew something off the wall....

I have misc grains and hops for to do a partial mash .

What would you do with ?

Thanks

5 gallon brew honey ale

3lb light DME
48oz Honey
8oz carapils (steeped 30 mins)
1oz Tetnang @ 60
1oz Saaz @5
American Ale Yeast

I use 3lbs of plain DME with 4-6lbs of grains. A few partial mash beers should use'em up. Just change the crystal malts,color malts,etc to vary the styles a bit. That should do it.

If it's a 5 gallon batch, you're going to have an absurdly high gravity. Why not save some for making yeast starters in the future?

I agree, that's a good idea.

If you're looking to use of MOST of that DME with 1 batch, I would recommend either a Wheat IPA or a Belgian Golden Strong.

• Wheat IPA would use equal parts light DME and Wheat DME + a lot of big american hops.
  • Belgian Golden Strong would use most (or all) of your light DME, a pound or two of your wheat DME, some specialty grains, and some noble hops.
That's my 2 cents, happy brewing! :mug:

Just the extract alone is going to give something like 1.125 OG. You could add other stuff brew it up and wait until NEXT October to drink it!

I would do a big RIS. Steep 1#chocolate malt, .5#black patent, .75#crystal 60 or 80. With some good strong hops. Let sit for a year and it will be ready for the holidays 2014.

Back