What to do when you can't find the right Lovibind malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making Jamil's Scottish schilling recipe that calls for 85 grams of 200 L chocolate malt. I'm in New Zealand and the lightest I chocolate I can find is 350. How do I adjust for this? Do I just cut the amount by 42%, or will that effect the flavor contribution?

you could use the same amount but cold steep the grains over night and add the tea to the boil?

I think your approach should get in the right ballpark for color, but the flavor contribution will be different.

I designed my own recipe recently and I used progressively lesser amounts of the darker malts, proportionally to their L rating. I figured that if each specialty malt provided roughly equal proportions of color that I could really layer the color and therefor flavor contributions. I think the recipe turned out great, but it was my first, so I don't have a lot to compare it too.

I think the small amount of chocolate in the recipe is more for color adjustment than flavor. I personally think cutting the amount of chocolate malt like you said is the best and simplest option.

Thanks everyone. I think I will just cut the amount. I was mostly just looking to see if there was one standard way of dealing with a lovibond disparity. But if there is no standard solution I think I'll stick with simple.

If anyone has ever had any direct experience with this problem I'd love to hear what the results were of cutting the amount.

Thanks again.

Back