What to do when I miss my OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxonbrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed a few ag batches now and I'm finding that my efficiency varies from batch to batch. Its been as low as 66% and as high as 79% (batch sparge).

My question is what do I do if I miss my target OG??

If I stick with my hop schedule that I've calculated my balance and BU:GU ratios go out of the window.

Currently I underestimate my OG (work with 70%) and then readjust my calculations (weight of hop additions) once I've collected my wort and I know the actual OG.

Is there an easier way to do this??

Cheers!

I've never had a big problem with hops when missing my OG. With 5 gallon batches the IBU difference is so minimal I never worry about it.

In the chance that I'm significantly low I boil a bit longer. If you are high, cover your kettle a bit to minimize evaporation rate. Nothing wrong with a little bonus wort. Refractometers are your best friend in either case. You could also add some DME/LME at flameout but I'd rather have a bit less beer.

You will tune your equipment over time. Depending on the tool you use to draft recipes, you can adjust your efficiency rates, most let you do that.

A bit of DME to raise the OG or just put up with a lighter bodied/abv final product.

Dial in your crush and temps. And I would not worry about the hop additions. That should not be too noticeable.

Definitely keep some DME on hand in case your efficiency comes in low.

If I'm brewing something that I want to keep light, or finish dry I'll use table sugar. This really works with IIPAs.

I have never worried about it. Never missed more than 3 or 4 points though. I use my own software I developed to match my process and my equipment. My largest variations was 4 points on an amber ale. For some reason its the amber ales that always give me fits. Pale ales, pale lagers porters and stouts no problems. I will figure out the amber ale eventually, someday.

Hi,

Thanks to everybody for their replies. All very helpful, especially the woodland blog.

Looking back over my brewing notes I see that I need to be more consistent with my mash. e.g. the length of time I stir when I do this etc. I'm thinking this might help give me a more consistent efficiency.

I think because I'm looking to hit my balance values and be able to reproduce my brews consistently I really need to scale the hop additions.
I'm less keen on adding DME because it will introduce another flavor that will be inconsistent in my brewing process.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Cheers!

DrunkleJon said:
A bit of DME to raise the OG or just put up with a lighter bodied/abv final product.

Dial in your crush and temps. And I would not worry about the hop additions. That should not be too noticeable.

I always want to do this because I am off a lot. However, I am afraid to because I think that it might change the flavor of the beer.

How much does adding (a reasonable amount) of DME change the flavor?

Light ME's really do not contribute much to the flavor. It is essentially just wort from the base grain. From my experience/in my opinion unless you use a crapload you should not notice it. Light DME is mostly base grains after all.

Maybe you aren't looking for other advice here, so I apologize if you read this and think, "Yeah, I know that moron." But I can't help but pass along what's helped me a lot in moving to A-G.

One thing I would do, is check your crush. My first two brews were LHBS crush and both varied quite a bit on efficiency. Since then, I've bought my own mill and that consistent crush has given me a consisten efficiency. It's not that I'm against adding DME or anything at the end, but I've found hitting that efficiency allows me to make the exact beer I want.

The only other time I had an issue, I messed something up on my water calculator and ended up with about an extra gallon still in the mash tun. (batch sparging) Math is not my strong point. So, how is your water usage. It took me a little bit to get that down exactly, but it seems I've got my system nailed down pretty well and know what I need before I start. I always double check it though, before I sparge. Making sure I know exactly how much more wort I need to collect.

Obviously you do what you can to hit your numbers, but don't use the DME as a crutch for too long. I can't emphasize enough how getting a consistent (not worried about high or low) but consistent efficiency, has eased a lot of stress from my brew day. So, I would definitely look for the issues that are causing your efficiency to vary so much. Obviously, anything can still happen, but for the most part, being able to trust those numbers have made everything a lot smooter during brew day, which I feel has turned into better beer.

Thanks for the responses guys.

DrunkleJon, you make a pretty compelling argument for using LDME there, very useful to think about it like that.

Clonefan94, thanks for taking the time to post your experiences, very useful. At the moment I'm using LHBS crush and I did wonder whether that might be inconsistent. I might look into buying a mill or building one, I can see how having control over that part of the process is a big plus.

Thanks again!

Back