What to do...what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
First, let me say this. I don't check for gravity, since I brew 1 gallon, to 1-1/2 gallon batches and don't want to lose any of my brew. I know...that doesn't help answer my questions much. I was able to check my final gravity. I explain that further on.

I had made a strong beer, expected ABV was supposed to be around 11.38 or so. Using the online calculator, my starting gravity should have been 1.111 and final gravity should have been 1.029. I used 4# amber LME and 8oz sugar, along with a total of 4oz steeping grains.

I let the beer ferment for around 10 days or so. That's usually how long mine go. Typically, I let them go longer, as it takes me a week or more to actually get around to taking the brew off the yeast. This time, because of the high ABV, my plan was to add in wine yeast at the end to finish it off. I did this, and the fermentation went good again for another 3 or 4 days, and then taper off and finally stopped. As usual, it took me almost a week to take the beer off the yeast.

It came out WAY too sweet. I had some left over, outside of putting the beer in the secondary to age. I put that in the fridge. Tonight, I checked the final gravity and it is around 1.050. Adjusting for the temperature in the fridge, figure 1.049. This gives me an ABV of 8.14. Respectable, but still way too sweet.

Is it possible to repitch some wine yeast into the secondary? Will it start fermenting again? Or should I just leave it as is, drink a sweet beer, and try not to mess up next time...whatever it was I screwed up?

Thanks.

Wine yeast likes simple sugars like fructose. What your beer probably left behind would be dextrines and perhaps some maltotriose, which the wine yeast won't work on. I'm afraid your beer is done. It's also too young and uncarbonated, too early in the game to make decisions on it.

I'm guessing they don't really make beer yeast for such high ABV, right? I've looked around, and the highest I could find was 10%-11% max.

Ah well. Maybe next time. I'm just not sure what could've happened. I've made a couple of strong beers before with no problems at all. As you said, it is young, maybe it will get better with some age.

I'm guessing they don't really make beer yeast for such high ABV, right? I've looked around, and the highest I could find was 10%-11% max.

Ah well. Maybe next time. I'm just not sure what could've happened. I've made a couple of strong beers before with no problems at all. As you said, it is young, maybe it will get better with some age.
Wyeast 3787 will tolerate up to 14%... sometimes a bit higher.

Well, this has been sitting for over a month. Bad news, it is still quite sweet.
The good news, though, is that it is mostly drinkable now.

For what it is worth, I have pulled out my hydrometer and I am practicing with
it for the future.

Whew.

Back