what to do next time ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
this is my 3rd extract brew and i was wondering why extract falls on its face? it doesn't seam to have the grain flavor like i feel it should. is that cause you have to dilute it with water?

it has a lot of non-fermentable sugar in it. the same all-grain recipe that gets down to 1.012 might get to 1.020 extract. leaves a nasty twang to it (as far as i'm concerned)

I'm primarily an ag brewer, but I've made many good extract brews over the years and didn't notice that effect. Post a recipe and your technique to make it and we can help you out better.

I've only done extract brewing, and I've never finished above 1.017, and that was a pretty heavy stout. the only problem I've ever had is that sometimes when it's still a bit green it has a sort of brown sugar taste. I get my extract from the bulk containers at my LHBS. They have very good sell through so I know it's fresh.

i used
Priming Sugar - 5 oz bag 1 oz
Wyeast Labs American Ale - 1056 1 ea
Amarillo Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 8.2% AA 2 oz
Summit Pellets - Mainly Bittering Hop 18.5% AA 1 oz
Rice Syrup Solids - 1 lb bag 1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1 lbs, 0 oz
northern brewer golden Liquid Extract - Exact Amount 6 lbs, 0 oz

steeped at 160 for 20 min
used 60 min boil
summit pellets for 60 min
1oz amarillo for 25 min
used 2 gallons of water in boil
then once it cooled down added the rest of the water
i also dry hopped 1 oz of amarillo

That's a pretty basic recipe. The extract looks like good bulk LME so I'd stick with that. Maybe branch out with more grains in your recipe. I'd highly suggest looking into partial mash brewing. There's only so much you can do with extract and one lb of malt.

What was your fermentation schedule and temps like?

Funny taste with ectract can be water.....extract brewed with my tap water is nasty. brew the same recipe with bottled water and its amazing...

Funny taste with ectract can be water.....extract brewed with my tap water is nasty. brew the same recipe with bottled water and its amazing...

That could be my thing too, we have a water service that comes in convenient 5 gallon jugs. I just top off my boil with an extra gallon of tap water, and have had no problems. we should be getting a house in the next year or two, then I'll go all grain.

Back