What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffd520

Reaction score
I currently work in the medical field but have become completely burnt out doing this and its time to move on to something else. I start school to get my BS in Mechanical Engineering at the end of the month. I will be going to school with a full time schedule and will be working my full time job at the same time, so I don't see myself being able to brew much if at all during this time. So, I plan on doing one last brew next weekend before I start this journey. I was thinking a IPA or maybe a IIPA with some citra. I have been looking at the recipe section but haven't found the right one yet. Anybody have any suggestions?

Where are you going to school? Something that kind of uses a school theme? (As a University of Wisconsin alum, I'd brew a red.)

On further reflection, brew something that is your favorite a d something you'll really enjoy. Engineering's a demanding field and brewing time probably will be limited so brew something you'll love!

And congrats! Sometimes we all fantasize about starting fresh in a new career so all the best! (And start recruiting classmates to help design and build a sweet RIMS system too.)

As to your original Q, find a Two Hearted clone and sub Citra for all the Centennial. I did that a whole back and it was awesome.

JonM said:
As to your original Q, find a Two Hearted clone and sub Citra for all the Centennial. I did that a whole back and it was awesome.
I think I might go with this.

It was pretty cool. Started out with that big mango, Juicyfruit flavor, after about a month, that morphed into a dank, oniony, gym clothes (no kidding) aroma, and at about 8 weeks all the weird stuff disappeared an it became a beautiful IPA. Cheers!

I was checking out two hearted clones and I found this recipe sounds good but could someone who is a little more knowledgeable tell me their thoughts.
TypeAll Grain
Efficiency75.0%
Batch size5.75 gal
Boil time75 min

Fermentables

Name

Amount

Use

PPG

Pale Ale Malt 14.0 lb77 % Mash 37
Vienna Malt 2.75 lb15 % Mash 36
Crystal 30 11.0 oz3 % Mash 32
CARAPILS® 11.0 oz3 % Mash 33

Hops

Name

Amount

Time

Use

Form

AA

Centennial United States 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Magnum United States 1.0 oz 45 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Amarillo United States 0.5 oz 10 min Boil Leaf 9.5%
Citra United States 0.75 oz 7 min Boil Pellet 12.0%
Amarillo United States 0.75 oz 7 min Boil Pellet 9.5%
Citra United States 0.5 oz 0 min Boil Leaf 12.0%
Citra United States 0.75 oz 3 days Dry Hop Leaf 12.0%
Amarillo United States 0.75 oz 3 days Dry Hop Leaf 9.5%

Yeasts

Name

Lab

Attenuation

Temp

California Ale Yeast WLP001 White Labs 76.5% 68°F – 73°F

Extras

Name

Amount

Time

Use

Fermax Yeast Nutrient 5.0 tbs 15.0 min Boil

Notes

Here's what's worked great for me: (adopt lured and revised from Northern Brewer'sYtwo Hearted clone recipe)

11 lbs 2 row
1 lb c-40

Mash at 152

.75 Citra at 50
1.00 Citra at 20
2.00 Citra at 5
1.00 Citra in dry hop

1272 yeast at low 60s or Chico yeast at same temp.

Since you won't be having much free time to brew I would go with something "big". Barleywine, RIS, Strong Ale, etc. Something you can savor over a long period of time. Maybe only drink a bottle or two a week.

Back