What the Helles am I thinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hello- I’ve never brewed a Helles, although Pilsners are in my regular rotation.

However, this time I’m in a time crunch. I have to produce a corny of beer by Sep 7th.

Given the time constraints, and ingredients on hand.......if I make a beer with same grain and hop bill as Helles, but with a faster fermenting ale yeast (I have Notty, s04 and s05 on hand).
What the Helles would I end up with? Which of the three yeast would be best?

I could always do a simple blonde but this summer I’ve made 4 batches of that already.

Btw- I do have a keezer, so temp control is not a factor.

Thanks

Helles is a very delicate and subtle beer style. Rushing it with a ale yeast is not going to make a Helles, although I'm sure all your friends will drink it with gusto. Besides, my guess is that most if not all of them don't know what a Helles is anyways.

I'd go with the S-05 yeast as it should have the lowest ester production of the three.

You didn’t mention this in your ‘yeast on hand’, but Saflager34/70 can be fermented at ale temps and make a really clean lager, much closer to a traditional lager than any of the yeasts you named. I made something between a helles/marzen fermented at about 64 with 1 pack and it was one of the best beers I’ve brewed in my 3 years of the hobby.

I use Notty when splitting my Kolsch recipe of 10 gal. They both are very good when fermented at 60* for 3-4 days then 64* for 3 days(about done by now) then up to 68 for the rest of a 3 week primary. After 3 weeks the Kolsch gets secondary for lagering and the Notty goes in a keg, force carbed and served. The Kolsch is ready when the Notty kicks. Every beer I've made with Notty was ready in 21 days and crystal clear. 34/70 would taste great but takes too long to clear.

I second 34/70. I've brewed lagers in two weeks with this yeast. Very clean and clisp. I'd ferment it at 60 for three days then up it to 65 to finish it out. Cold crash it for 2 days, gelatin fine it in the keg and carb it up. Should be good by the 7th! Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about what style it is - just call it a lawnmower beer, give it a funny beer name and you'll be good. Either Nottingham fermented cool (62-65F) gives a nice clean beer, too.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really do appreciate it.
Because I’m stressed for time, this time I’ll stick with Notty. Both because I already have a pack and because it drops like a mofo.
Thanks for the 34/70 info. I’ve used that yeast a handful of times but not at higher temps. Often, I’m craving a pils but don’t want to wait 6 weeks. I’ll give that method s shot next time. Also, I imagine diacetyl becomes less of an issue. I recently had my first d issue and it wasn’t fun (underpitched).

I use Notty when splitting my Kolsch recipe of 10 gal. They both are very good when fermented at 60* for 3-4 days then 64* for 3 days(about done by now) then up to 68 for the rest of a 3 week primary. After 3 weeks the Kolsch gets secondary for lagering and the Notty goes in a keg, force carbed and served. The Kolsch is ready when the Notty kicks. Every beer I've made with Notty was ready in 21 days and crystal clear. 34/70 would taste great but takes too long to clear.

I like your strategy.

Local brewery here does their mOktoberfest with Notty for the same reasons - just pitches the right number of packets (doesn't even lager). You'd be none the wiser if the brewer didn't tell you it was Notty.

Latest posts

Back