What the hell is in my boiling kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EO74

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love fall in new england the cool air the leaves changing color and falling off the trees .....right into my fully boiling brew pot!Does anyone know how to calculate the bitterness of leaves?? Am i the only one this has happened to, can't be im not the only brewer in new england:cross:

Dunno about calculating bitterness, but oak leaves have lots of tannin. That's how you get those leaf-prints on the sidewalk after they fall.

The only recipe I've ever seen for brewing with oak called for the bark, not the leaves, and involved 2 oz. per gallon. You could probably dump a few handfuls of leaves in your pot and get a deeper brown color and a bit of astringency. A few leaves won't do much, though.

Yeah im not to worried just thought it was kinda funny .I guess i could incorperate it into the name somehow! Like my.....Bitter Noreaster ale.:D

Old post.. but.. have you thought of stretching a piece of cheese cloth over the top and attaching with a bungee cord? Keeps out leaves, beez n flies n yeller jackets. Course, three of the four add protein. Allows vapors to pass on to the Great Vapor along with the bad items that might cause DMS while keeping the wort reasonably sanitary.

Latest posts

Back