What the heck? yeast rearousal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishStout

Reaction score
I took a gravity sample of my brew a few days ago (muntons bock extract kit with 3lbs DME added, about 3.5 weeks in primary) and throughout the process my beer seemed pretty inactive. flat as a pancake, hardly a bubble to be seen aside from a few tiny yeast bubble rafts on the surface of the bucket.

I go to check it again today (and accidentally bumped the bucket beforehand) and when I opened the bucket there was a good amount of bubbly foam on the top. nothing unsightly like some of the infections i've seen, so I think I'm fine on that front.

after taking the sample and putting it into the gravity tube I noticed my beer had gotten rather cloudy since I last checked it and was bubbling as if it were carbonated. it actually had a bit of a head too when i poured it into the tube, and I needed to spin my hydrometer several times as bubbles kept forming on it. tastes fine though, more or less the same as last sampling.

so what is happening here? could my bumping the bucket have stirred up some sleeping yeasties that kicked back into action?

i think you hit the nail on the head. you probably got soem yeast back into suspension. as far as the beer beeing carbonated, i kind of doubt that, unless it was in a completely sealed container, the co2 should escape through an air lock. the process fo pourning the beer into a hydrometer flask often creates some bubles. i think that thou bubling you saw is likely jsut some yeast on the top of the beer.

It could be the small amount of carbonation that's in the liquid. Not much is there, but by moving it, the carbonation could have found something to grab hold of and bubble up.

Latest posts

Back